jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
RE: RV9A Fuse-landing gear mounts

I cut out the oblong holes for the landing gear mounts on the forward bottom skin of the fuse. I can only get one gear mount thru a hole-either the right or left but not both at the same time.

My question is do I either enlarge the oblong holes so they both fit, or, settle with only one mount going thru the hole then try to wiggle the other landing gear mount into place thru the other hole while the skin is in place.

I hope I am making myself clear. I have been fiddling with this-another time grab that slows progress. Been getting a lot of these lately.

Thanks for any reply from those gone before.

Jim
RV9A

Hi Jim,
You need to enlarge them both so they fit. You may find, like most, that you need to cut into the flange on the center section to do it.

Jim,

Yes, the holes need fiddling to allow the gear to fit properly. All this will be covered up with the fairings eventually.

greg

This is what I've done

Yes I aligned the template to cut the oblong holes. I also cut away the wing bulkhead flange to clear. Then I bolted the gear mounts in place. I also drilled the 5 bolt holes and the 2 screw holes into the side skin structure for the gear mounts. (I was hesitant to drill these holes now-the instructions aren't clear when to do this).

After getting one gear mount in the bottom skin hole at a time I unbolted the other gear mount then tried positioning it in place to get the gear mount stub thru the other skin hole. Couldn't do it so I guess I am resigned to get the file out and make the holes larger so the bottom skin drops down in place over the gear mounts.

If there is a better way I am all ears.

Jim
RV9A Fuse

try this

Couldn't do it so I guess I am resigned to get the file out and make the holes larger so the bottom skin drops down in place over the gear mounts.

Jim, install the bottom skin before installing the gear leg mounts.