Doug94

Well Known Member
Need some advice...

Plane is an RV8 and I am installing the bottom rudder fairing. The plans call for a square cut-out to slide fairing over the rudder cable connection bracket. I'd like to stay away from cutting out a few square inches of fiberglass. How have you done this?

Any help or recommendations are always appreciated!

Safe flying and Merry Christmas.

Doug

I cut out a square notch like VAN's directs, but then attached it to the bottom of the rudder, in the appropriate position, so that when the rudder fairing was in place, the opening was covered. That worked fine on my RV6 and RV8.
However, I have also seen where folks have removed part of the top leading edge of the fairing, so they could get it in place, only requiring a slot in the fairing, and then using tabs and screws to hold the leading edge piece in place. This does allow access to the fairing later, from the front, but I have never had to have access to it in the past.
Oh yeah, if you decide to make the fairing removeable by using nut plates in stead of rivets, don't forget that, on the tail dragger models, the tail spring prevents removal of that fairing unless the rudder is off the plane. (Guess how I know that!)

Dremel

If I'm understanding your question; I marked the cutout with a thinline Sharpy and just used a dremel with a-little cutoff wheel- quick and easy. Also, I delayed this installation until I could put it on the airplane so I didn't run into interference issues with the tailwheel, etc. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Also the dimensions of that rudder tip

Are critical and likely to conflict with the tailwheel spring. So fit that in place on the rudder and check the interferrence with the spring. I know that from a 9 that already had pretty blue paint but had to be cut off, refit and repainted on final assembly. Actually the tip was damaged on the first couple of landing from tail wheel spring strike.