aussieflyer1

Well Known Member
I installed my Vettermans exhaust and heat muffs and found the heat muffs just touch the bottom edge where it falls into the exhaust exit tunnel. I have the muffs moved as far up towards the pivot joint in the exhaust. Has anyone else experienced this issue.
[email protected]

I had this problem on my 7A. On most take-offs everything was fine and then on one it would be louder than H*** and the first time I thought something was REALLY wrong:eek: When I figured out that the exhaust was hitting the cowl it was a relief.

I couldn't rotate the exhaust in any way to avoid hitting either the engine mount or the cowling. I had lots of people look at it and try to figure out the "right" geometry. This is a cowl for the vertical induction. After fighting with it for months and trying various fixes I gave up and cut the cowl and gave the exhaust pipes more room. I'm REALLY glad I didn't paint it until after all the various issues were resolved. There seems to be a good deal of variation between the fit of cowls to exhausts. Lot's of combos work straight out of the box, many need some minor geometry tweaking and some need surgery! As a first time builder this seemed like a very big deal, but I wonder if multiple offenders simply view this as one of those "cut to fit" things that sometimes are easy and sometimes requires a bit more work.

Heat muff

Try the heat muff on the left side, there was more room on mine and other
7As I have seen. Gene

Make sure you have the muffs rotated so the narrowest portion is on the cowl side. Sometimes one can gain a little bit of clearance that way.

Greg