rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am working on the design for my 9A panel. I am going with a 2 screen G3X Touch system. Until yesterday, my plan was to have one screen placed in front of each seat with the radio in the middle. I read a comment about only looking at the screen in front of them and that made sense. I have two monitors when I am doing ACAD or photoshop and I end up moving things to one screen.

If you have a panel with both screens on one side, I would love to hear your thoughts and if you would do it again.

Thanks.

I think this all depends on who will be in your right seat. I always hear about people putting one big screen on either side of the panel. I never got that unless they expect to have a copilot fly the plane a lot. Otherwise I think it is a waste of money. If you put one on either side of the panel, you will likely display everything on your screen and seldom even use the second screen. If you out both of them on the left, then you will likely use the left screen for PFD and the rig screen for map, while displaying engine data on one or the other.

How many older steam gauge planes do you see with a 6-pack on the right side? Unless you get up into twins and stuff like that, the answer is NONE. They out stuff like the vacuum gauge and minor gauges over there with the glove box. They are set up for a pilot to fly. Everything that matters during flight except for minor every-once-in-a-while gauges are within easy reach and eyesight of the pilot.

Also, if you are controlling things like your transponder and so on from your screens, both in front of you makes the most sense in my book.

I have a screen on each side of the my panel. I usually have the moving map up on the passenger side. It works well for me setup that way, as I don't stare at the moving map, but only look at if ever so often for situational awareness. When I take passengers up and let them fly, i then put the primary flight display up on the passenger side.

I have struggled with this as well.

Originally I had two legacy Dynon units stacked and that worked fine for the capabilities that those units had.

With the 6,7 & 9 SBS models we have to compromise with the large screens available today.

My first go round with Garmin had a three screen setup with two screens (PFD1 & MFD) in front of the pilot and a third (PFD2) in front of the passenger. 95% of the time I kept the PFD2 on the full screen traffic monitor page. This worked out well for me.

When the Touch came along of course it replaced the PFD1 & MFD and since I did not have room for another large display I decided to eliminate the PFD2 and just put my 796 there in its place. The 796 can produce the same full screen traffic page that I was used to with my 3 screen setup and it can also get AHRS data from the GDL39 3D for a backup to the backup so to speak.

The touch really does a better job as a combined PFD/MFD than a two screen non Touch does separately. Hard to explain but if you have used both, you would understand what I am trying to say. The user interface on the Touch really adds to the usability of the setup.

Now Garmin is soon to ship the new 7" model of the Touch. This really helps me in that I can fit that screen in over on the passenger side without having to move the radio stack which I really really really don't want to do again. It will do a few things for me like bring screen redundancy back to my setup, bring a real PFD back to the passenger side, bring more screen space back to my system for use as a MFD so I can have more combinations of map, charts, plates, weather, traffic and EMS data up at one time. Granted it is still on the passenger side but in the narrow SBS cockpits like ours, it still remains quite usable.

On the other hand if you push the radio stack over on the passenger side far enough to make enough room for the two large Touch screens, it could really hamper usability for things that need a bunch of tweaking like audio panels, radios and GPS's. If you plan on having stuff that can be controlled from the screen, this is less of an issue. Also keep in mind that there are rules around where and how an TSO'd IFR GPS can be installed without needing an additional annunciator.

Like you if I were starting from scratch and even knowing what I know now about flying behind several configurations, I still would have to think long and hard about splitting up the two large displays. In my opinion the dual screen G3X Touch system is optimized when the PFD and MFD are mounted together side by side but on the other hand I am not sure I could stand my radio stack being that far over on the right side. This would be a non issue if I did not have a full IFR stack and had radios that the screens could fully control.

I would print out the different configurations full size and spend some time sitting behind the mock-up staring at things and thinking about how you plan to use the setup.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions. The more I read and look, I think I will put the two screens next to each other and treat them as one very wide screen! I am using the GRT-200 so I can work it off the panel. I have the VP-X elect system so I don't need a place for the CB's.

For the most part, it will be my wife flying with me. She is a non-pilot, but does want to learn. I just printed off a full size panel print with the asymmetrical set to the left and from the right seat, I think it is fine looking at the screens - even though they are off center.

I have to send my choice in on Tuesday to Stein. What I would really like is to get one of the carbon fiber asymmetrical panels. They are a bit too pricy for me.

Thanks for the opinions. The more I read and look, I think I will put the two screens next to each other and treat them as one very wide screen! I am using the GRT-200 so I can work it off the panel. I have the VP-X elect system so I don't need a place for the CB's.

For the most part, it will be my wife flying with me. She is a non-pilot, but does want to learn. I just printed off a full size panel print with the asymmetrical set to the left and from the right seat, I think it is fine looking at the screens - even though they are off center.

I have to send my choice in on Tuesday to Stein. What I would really like is to get one of the carbon fiber asymmetrical panels. They are a bit too pricy for me.

Given your setup as far as radio and using the VP-X, I would give great consideration to putting them next to each other. You will love all the flexibility that will give you on your side! Imagine having a full screen PFD and a full or split screen MFD with all kinds of possible combinations of map, charts, plates, etc.

Keep in mind that you can put in a switch to force the MFD to its reversionary mode and that will enable you to show a PFD on the MFD and that will make it easier for a passenger to see PFD info!

Thanks Brian. I agree. I will be going with the screens next to each other. Now I just need to rob a bank so I can get the carbon fiber panel!!

Keep in mind that you can put in a switch to force the MFD to its reversionary mode and that will enable you to show a PFD on the MFD and that will make it easier for a passenger to see PFD info!

Hi Brian,

No switch necessary for this... the 10.6" G3X Touch MFD allows you to display a split-screen combination of PFD and MFD with just a simple button press. :)

- Matt

just for another data point. flying a 182 with g1000 system while I build. both screens are next to each other, and it works great. Right seater can easily see map on right screen.

I installed 10" SV one on pilot and one on co-pilot with radio in-between.
I would not do it again. I would put them together.
Dave

I would put them together. We have two AFS4500 together and I can't imagine doing it any other way. Think about the amount of time you will fly the aircraft from the left verses someone flying it from the right seat. We have a dynon D10 as a backup attitude source and the right seater can fly off that.

George

I am putting one on each side since my wife flies too and she would not be happy if I hogged the displays.

Last edited:
I put them apart separated by radios because I want to encourage my grandkids to learn to fly and I want to teach my wife how to land in an emergency. I will prob run the PFD and 1/3 EMS on my side and the map and maybe 1/3 EMS on the other. I plan to use the screen "Swap" button often when I need to look at the map closely or let someone else fly. Besides that, I plan to fly from the right seat often so I can be comfortable letting someone else fly in the left seat. I'm not flying yet, but I have been using the Swap button while familiarizing myself with Skyview. Its just one simple push. ........My 2 cents

I am not flying yet, so my opinion may change soon.

However, I put my 10" screens on each side of my GTN650.
The reason was that I thought I would spend most of my time working the main PFD, GTN, and comms. The GTN is touch screen so I wanted it closer to me.
The map is on the far screen and I thought once I set the range I would just leave it alone.
I will have a reversion screen on my PFD with a map on it so that I can look up freq's and other data and approach plates when I need to.
Also, on my 7, I removed the sub panel ribs and use the radio stack trays to support the main panel. So being in the center worked out well for that.

Lastly, my wife said it looked better when it was symetrical. :D

After I start flying in a couple months, I may regret my decision, but I will then have a good excuse to upgrade the panel!

I think some of the decision will come down to personal preferences. At least in the RV-10, the cabin is about four inches wider than many certified aircraft flying with six packs on the left side. Seeing detail in front of the pilot may be difficult from the right seat.

I have a pair of screens on the left. I also have them set up in a non-traditional fashion in that I have the PFD on the right and the MFD on the left. My backup EFIS is on the far left. Which I admit after flying for awhile, it's in an almost useless location. I do have a smaller, less function EFIS in front of the right passenger. This would allow somebody sitting in the right seat, should I be incapacitated or functioning as a safety pilot.

I've had the opportunity to fly in quite a few other RV-10s that only have a pair of screens in front of the pilot. Many don't have anything on the right side.

One RV-10 has the EFIS configured like mine. PFD on the right and MFD on the left. This does make it easier for the person in the right seat to see enough to be able to fly the aircraft. I could fly from the right seat if that was required.

Another RV-10 had the PFD on the left and the MFD on the right. The MFD was also set to north up. I could not read anything on the PFD. I personally found flying with north up maps very difficult and not intuitive to me. I would feel very uncomfortable flying from the right seat in this aircraft.

My recommendation would be to find somebody with similar and go sit in their aircraft or mock up something in your aircraft. Like I mentioned, I think it comes down to personal preferences to how you want to enable the individuals in each seat. There are no right or perfect answers, only what works best for you.

For anyone that decided to go with a right and left install, can you see (or use) the right screen?

I ask because I just purchased a flying 7 and it has PFD in front of me and a non-touch G3X on the right side used as a glorified moving map. The Garmin is a beautiful piece of equipment but I cannot see it from the left seat and am so fed up already that I am likely to redo the whole panel (for other reasons as well). I've been navigating with an old Bendix King AV8OR handheld. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, but either way, the Garmin is wasted money.

I am sitting here now planning a single screen G3X touch panel, but I wondered if 2 screens would fit symetrically in front of me in a 7 panel.

I got a drawing from Stein with both 10" screens on the left side. I would post it here if it wasn't such a pain. That is how I decided to do my panel and signed off on it today. PM me if you want a copy.

Rocky------you sat in my plane as I recall. Both screens on pilot side. How did it look to you??

The new panel will also have both on the pilot side.

Mike,
Now that you mention it, I do remember both being on the same side on yours. I remember thinking I liked it at the time, then forgot!

I signed off on the drawing so no going back now! I can't wait to get this panel in my plane!

Asymmetric panels

I am just panelling my 9 slider, as you are, and in the initial stages of working with Steinair and discussing the two panel on the left radio stack on the right configuration. I had the chance to sit in a 9 at the Chapter 105 fly in yesterday (Portland OR) that had just that. I staked out the airplane until the owner showed up to ask if I could sit in it since the configuration is so rare. I would post the photos I took but I would not without his permission. I was pleasantly surprised there was no problem reaching the GPS/radio stack on the right side. It's a tiny panel after all. The symmetry issue for me became the symmetry of my view, not the view of the panel as a whole. I am planning a mini back up EFIS. I may put that over on the right and have my (not yet decided on vs VP) push pull breakers there as well. I will need to see a mock up but, if you are willing to put the time in and to show your panel to us, I would love to see it before I start my own design.