Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
This question is for anyone using the panel powered Bose X, when power is provided to the headset (master on), does the headset come on without having to push the power button?

This question is for anyone using the panel powered Bose X, when power is provided to the headset (master on), does the headset come on without having to push the power button?

Good question. That is one of the last bits of wiring I have left I have left before going for my pink slip. I don't know the answer.

Unfortunately, due to Achilles' tendon survey yesterday, I can't bear any weight on my foot nor can I easily climb into the cockpit. So no RV-10 activities for at least a month. I'm already experiencing building withdrawals. I'm just hoping ill be able complete phase I before Sun n Fun.

One thing to think about.

I have panel powered headsets, though not Bose. If you are flying by yourself you don't want the copilot's headset powered. You can get squealing in the headset. Mine come on when powered, so I put a two position switch in. I can power pilots or both.

I've had two buss-wired Bose X-es since the get go.

They both power up automatically. The power switch on mine is a toggle, so you can independently turn them off, but I leave them on all the time.

I have been flying with the control head inside the console, and I am getting tired of always opening the console to turn the battery powered units on and off, so I just wanted to be sure that if I wire the ships powered headsets that they will come on automatically with the power switch.
Bob,
I am already full bore into withdrawal symptoms. The hanger is cold and the plane is essentially done. What to do next is the question! I think Vans needs a counselor on staff to address the issue!

The older Bose X have a slide on/off switch and can stay on the on mode. I got these for my passenger seats as all I have to do is tell them to plug them in. The newer A20s how ever is a Pushbutton and requires you to turn it on each time. I believe there was an older thread around on how to rewire the A20 to come on automatically. It took some small soldering and dissecting the control module.

The older Bose X have a slide on/off switch and can stay on the on mode. I got these for my passenger seats as all I have to do is tell them to plug them in. The newer A20s how ever is a Pushbutton and requires you to turn it on each time. I believe there was an older thread around on how to rewire the A20 to come on automatically. It took some small soldering and dissecting the control module.

I think that is good news to me. I have the new ones. I can live with turning mine on every time if the others are by default off.

Bob

There are two different styles of battery operated Bose X. The ones with the 9volt and the other with the 2 AAs. The 9 volt have a slide switch and no "auto off". The newer w/2 AAs, have "auto-off" and have a push button on switch.
I am not sure how the LEMO version work, I hope they come on when power is applied without a mod.
I intend to leave them in the center console and I am finding that it is a pain to always open the console to turn on the battery powered ones that I am now using.

Slightly off topic and after the fact - Bose jack brackets

Just sharing here. I have a pair of the original Bose X headsets with panel power and a pair with AA power. I wired it up so I would have a pair of standard jacks and panel power jacks available in the front seat (just standard jacks for the rear).

I fabricated brackets for the front seats that accommodates both style of jacks , located in a convenient spot and takes up minimal real estate. Take a look here:
Bose jack brackets
and here:
Bose jack brackets 2
I've been flying it for 2 years and they've worked great!

I ordered side interior panels from Flightline and was able to have Amy customize them so there is a cutout for the brackets. Worked well.

Yes, they power on with the ship's main power. No manual operation required.

Bose

I wired the power to the avionics master. they are controlled by that switch. I leave the headset switch on and the avionics switch handles the on/off task. If I understand the question correctly. :) Larry