dick seiders

Well Known Member
Learned something new over the weekend. This may have been on before, but I don't recall seeing so for some who like the Bose A20 this may be helpful info. Installed the A20 noise reducing headset in June. A blessing in any airplane and the RV12 is no exception. If you like a quiet cockpit this is the way to go. Problem was it ate batteries (2 sets in 4 mos.). I called Bose and was asked to check and test auto battery shutdown, and was advised that certain aircraft are wired in such a fashion that auto shutdown may not work as the Bose unit may think aircraft is powered up. As directed I made certain auto shut off was turned on, turned on the Bose battery switch and waited to see if it went off in 2 to 7 min. With headset disconnected from jackplugs on the airplane. It shut down in 6 min. I then connected jacks to the RV12 plugs and repeated test. It failed to shut off in 12 min. so I stopped test. Note: nothing on the airplane was energized. I repeated the same test with the set connected to Billy Water's RV4, and shutdown took place in 6 min. Conclusion is apparently the RV12 wiring is one of those that fool the Bose gear into thinking airplane is powered up.
Now all this is subject to scrutiny by you electrical wizards out there (Joe, for ex.) so what gives?
It's no big deal as all you have to do is manually press the battery off switch when shutting down airplane avionics, master, etc. I just wanted to share this with any who have, or may try the Bose set.

Dick Seiders 120093

Dick,
I do not know the answer to the Bose A20 not shutting off. You could try posting your question here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Try repeating the test with the intercom switch in the isolate position. The intercom and Bose A20 might not be compatible with each other when it comes to the auto-off feature. Do you have two Bose A20s? Sometimes using two different brands of headsets causes problems.
You could operate the headset from aircraft power instead of batteries. I installed a DC power jack for that purpose next to the headset jacks.
Joe Gores
c0Cv2EVvbWHkTkTL8PJmBdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Thanks for your input ,Joe.
I only have one A20. That's all I can afford. Passenger side uses a standard headset (Peltor) w/o noise reduction feature.
I will test your idea on the intercom just to see if it makes a difference. If that is the culprit tho I would probably stick with turning off the A20 manually. ie: if I have to turn something off it might as well be the headset power.
The power source near the jacks has appeal. I did that with my Zaon MRX to avoid the hassle of replacing batteries at an inconvieient location. The difference here is the A20 powerpack is part of the unit and:
1. I have no idea how to do that
2. It likely would affect the warranty of the headset.

Appreciate your comments.
Dick Seiders

Dick,
A 6 pin connector is required to connect to aircraft power. If you do not have that, Bose sells them for $300 with bluetooth or $200 without. AA batteries are less expensive and they are easier to install than a 6 pin panel jack.
Joe Gores

Rv-8 an Bose

I had the same problem in my 8, the Bose would not shut off. I worked with the company for several months an tried many fixes, but could never get them to work correctly. It's not that Bose did not give there all in trying to get a fix, there was just something with my wiring. I ended up going to Carity an DC.
I now have a Rocket an am tempted to try Lightspeed, but haven't yet.