airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Not having ever done it by air, but contemplating a couple trips this summer...

When crossing from the US to Mexico, do you have to clear customs on BOTH sides of the border when going in? Land at the nearest point of entry on the US and fly direct to nearest point of entry in Mexico? Or just once, flying direct into the Mexico point of entry?

And I'm making the assumption that the procedure would be the same for the return trip, is that correct?

My scenario is that I'm based at a private strip, and Monterrey Mexico is well within my direct fuel range but I don't know if I need to initiate the crossing from, say, Del Rio or Laredo as an intermediate.

In charter I've flown to very few locations in Mexico. My experience has been flying directly to my destination. (In my most recent case it was MMSF) in the way back stop at the closest airport in the U.S. with customs. (KCXL on this particular trip) clear customs and then come home. I normally don't deal with the paperwork portions of the trip but there is eapis forms that need to be filed for both the leg out and the return. Basically to let customs know who is coming and leaving etc... That's all I've got. Just make sure you check with someone prior. You can always give homeland security a call to see if they have any specific procedures they want you to comply with. I'm sure they'll happily answer your questions.

Tim

Not having ever done it by air, but contemplating a couple trips this summer...

When crossing from the US to Mexico, do you have to clear customs on BOTH sides of the border when going in? Land at the nearest point of entry on the US and fly direct to nearest point of entry in Mexico? Or just once, flying direct into the Mexico point of entry?

And I'm making the assumption that the procedure would be the same for the return trip, is that correct?

In a nutshell, you have to enter the country via an Airport of Entry (AOE). Each country has it's own requirements, designate which airports are AOE's and how you must enter the country. Once you have officially entered the country, then you can ask the official what requirements/limitations you need to comply with to fly within their country. Each country is different.

This also applies to entering the US, just that the US calls the AOE a Ports of Entry (POE). You must enter the US via a POE.

My scenario is that I'm based at a private strip, and Monterrey Mexico is well within my direct fuel range but I don't know if I need to initiate the crossing from, say, Del Rio or Laredo as an intermediate.

In your scenario, you fill out a US eApis outbound, have a Customs Sticker on your airplane and unless CBP gives you different instructions, you can fly to MMMY since it is a Mexican AOE. Another option is to fly to the Piedras Negras (MMPG) airport which is also a Mexican AOE and do the official entry there. Afterwards you fly on to MMMY. Either way you still have to comply with Mexico entry rules which are kind of in a state of confusion right now since the US has pressured them to implement their version of eApis. On your return you file a US eApis inbound but must clear back into the US at a POE which can be either Del Rio or Laredo. Just make sure you call the Customs Office at the airport you will use directly at least 1hr before arrival and let them know you are headed their way. Get the persons name or badge number you talked to as a CYA before you head out. You have to be on a discreet transponder code (VFR or IFR) before you cross the border back into the US or the FAA will not accept you back in and you will probably be intercepted by some angry US officials (US Air Force or US Customs). Best is to be on a flight plan and get a discreet code from FSS if returning VFR. No returning squawking 1200 from Mexico.

Since this will be your 1st time I recommend you get in touch with Baja Bush Pilots or Rick Gardner at Caribbean Sky Tours for the latest updated information. Afterwards you can decide if you need their help or not.

:cool:

Last edited: