7dayflier

From time to time, I give rides to youngsters who are too short to see out of the back seat of my -4 very well. I've tried a variety of "boosters", but none have been completely satisfactory. I'm conscious that the wrong booster could interfere with the controls, so I'd like a solution that is:

1. Safe
2. Easily stored in the baggage compartment when not in use.
3. Provides sufficient boost for kids.

Any ideas?

I have set up Mikayla's standard car booster seat with a custom back cushion. The seat belts under the "arm rests" on the booster seat hold it from coming forward and the fact that it sits into the seat pan without the rear seat gives stick clearance. The narrow seat back fills in the pan above the booster. A quick release pin allows the removal of the back stick, because I figure if they can't land in an emergency it is more risk than reward. Let me know if you want a photo.

I have set up Mikayla's standard car booster seat with a custom back cushion. The seat belts under the "arm rests" on the booster seat hold it from coming forward and the fact that it sits into the seat pan without the rear seat gives stick clearance. The narrow seat back fills in the pan above the booster. A quick release pin allows the removal of the back stick, because I figure if they can't land in an emergency it is more risk than reward. Let me know if you want a photo.

Can you post a picture?

The car boosters I've seen haven't had enough boost if I don't put them on top of my regular cushion. Even if I do put them on the cushion, they're not quite high enough for a good view, but more importantly, I'm nervous about them coming forward and lodging between seat cushion and control stick. :eek:

Since I've got the rear stick "wired", it isn't that easy to remove.

I guess I need to encourage my grandkids to grow faster!

My son sits on folded towels in the back seat of our four. You can adjust the height of the stack as required. Works well with the stock harness/seat belts.

I will get a photo, but we have a 'riser' in the back seat of our -4. We were not happy with the comfort of the flat base, so we bent some ribs and riveted a platform to sit at the desired angle. We have supplied plans for this for 20 years if anyone wants them. So this booster sits up about an inch on the riser in the rear, and about 2.5" in the front. It will be impossible to get a photo of that, but it may explain how it sits.

I will get a photo, but we have a 'riser' in the back seat of our -4. We were not happy with the comfort of the flat base, so we bent some ribs and riveted a platform to sit at the desired angle. We have supplied plans for this for 20 years if anyone wants them. So this booster sits up about an inch on the riser in the rear, and about 2.5" in the front. It will be impossible to get a photo of that, but it may explain how it sits.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has toyed with the idea of an adjustable base?