Ron B.

Well Known Member
Building an RV-14A , IO-390 with mechanical engine driven pump and backup electric boost pump. I had full intentions of mounting the circuit breaker directly in front of the pilot on the main electrical buss. But I cannot count past four and missed a breaker (should have installed four). Problem is now I have other switches/breakers with larger holes than the breaker I need to add. My first choice would be to move the boost pump to the fuse block I have mounted just below the panel just forward of the fuel valve that is in the tunnel (One of Van's RV-14's has a panel mounted at the same location) . I can see and access the fuses while flying easily.
I have the boost pump installed to the breaker now but need to steal this breaker for the flaps which I need to have quick access to in case of problem with runaway (I do have a flap controller installed but you never know).
My reasoning on moving the pump protection is there is still a switch on the stick to control it. It's a back up system that gets tested constantly so you would have to have both pumps fail at the same time in order to need to replace a fuse in an emergency, and it is still an option that would only take a few seconds to do.
What do you think, am I overthinking this or missing something?
Thanks Ron

If you are asking if it is OK to protect a fuel pump with a fuse instead of a circuit breaker, I see nothing wrong with doing that. 500 RV-12s are flying with fuses and no circuit breakers. My fuel pump (40105) is protected with a 5 amp fuse and has never blown. If a fuse blows, you are better off waiting until on the ground before troubleshooting.

Some how I missed this reply, sorry. Yes I was asking if a fuse would be OK. Not so much as in an electrical protection aspect but in a inflight replacement or reset option. Resetting a breaker would take a second but replacing a fuse might take two minutes. If Van's uses fuses in the RV-12 , I should be OK in the 14.
Thanks