:confused: As a new builder I am having trouble telling the difference between bolt sizes. Is there a downloadable reference chart available from someone?

Bob Collins said:
Pick up one of these.
Very handy.

I have one of those....stupid thing doesn't work, believe it or not. They must have put the sticker with the lengths on it wrong because all the lengths are....well....wrong :mad:

I didn't catch it until months later when I went to use it for the first time and couldn't find a single bolt that matched the plans.

Go ahead and buy one as I'm sure it was just a glitch on the one they sent me, BUT check it out with some known bolts before you use it for real. I'll probably buy a new one myself, or just use the gauge that Vans put in the emp. kit.

bolt sizes

Didn't your kit come with one from Van's? Mine did, in both aluminum and paper template. It only goes up through AN4, but there are very few bolts larger and you can mike them.
h

MT Prop

Thanks to those who replied with help on bolt sizes. Its hell being the new guy and just getting started.Been looking at Engine and Prop combos and got a Quote from American Propeller for the new MT Aluminum Constant Speed Two Bladed Prop. Anybody know anything about them or anyone using it? They say it's 9lb lighter than a Hartzel and has no R.PM. restrictionsfor undampened Lycoming 360 series engines. Any thoughts?

jcoloccia said:
I have one of those....stupid thing doesn't work, believe it or not. They must have put the sticker with the lengths on it wrong because all the lengths are....well....wrong :mad:
I have the sticker model too, and it is sort of confusing. IIRC, someone correct me if I am wrong, the bolt length is the last line it crosses (or under the bolt). In other words, if it crosses the -7 and goes almost to -8 but not quite, it is a -7 bolt. I think the "last crossed line" thing is so they can account for variances in sticker placement.

Don't know if that explains your issue, but it threw me the first few times.

Edit: Just came in from the shop, and as usual, I was wrong :eek: If it crosses the -7 line, almost coming to the -8, it is an -8... I had it reversed above. Ooops!

Last edited:
RV7Factory said:
I have the sticker model too, and it is sort of confusing. IIRC, someone correct me if I am wrong, the bolt length is the last line it crosses (or under the bolt). In other words, if it crosses the -7 and goes almost to -8 but not quite, it is a -7 bolt. I think the "last crossed line" thing is so they can account for variances in sticker placement.

Don't know if that explains your issue, but it threw me the first few times.

That is how it works, but mine's off enough that sometimes the bolt makes it to the next line, making the metric "last REALLY crossed line"...LOL. Now that I know how and where it's off, it's usuable but I end up triple checking everything just to be sure.

RV7Factory said:
In other words, if it crosses the -7 and goes almost to -8 but not quite, it is a -7 bolt. I think the "last crossed line" thing is so they can account for variances in sticker placement.
Not on mine. If it cross the 7 line and is not quite to -8, it's an 8.

But it's all relative anyway. So just take a bolt whose size you're sure of and measure it and see where the line is. Then use that for all the others/

the one I have from AVery isn't a sticker. The numbers are embossed on the metal.

Bob Collins said:
Not on mine. If it cross the 7 line and is not quite to -8, it's an 8.
Bob, you are right. I wrote that from the office today and got it reversed. I just ran in from the shop to correct my post after realizing my mistook, but you already got me. ;)

Last edited:
RV7Factory said:
Bob, you are right. I wrote that from the office today and got it reversed. I just ran in from the shop to correct my post after realizing my mistook, but you already got me. ;)

OMG....mine's REALLY screwed up then. LOL. It's OK...I've just been using Van's gauge and that seems to work okey-dokey :)