java

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of some changes to facilitate the use of my Bogi bar. I like it, but on my tailwheel, one side has too little to grab (bolt head) and the other side is restricted by the cotter pin on the castle nut, so it only grabs part of the nut. The tow bar does not feel like it has a good grab on the tailwheel because of these issues.

I'd like to install a longer bolt, stack some washers under the head to give more extension to "grab" on that side, and use a nylock instead of castellated nut with a cotter pin so I can grab the nut side better too.

Anyone done this? What is the bolt I need?

i used a pvc pipe coupling on the cotter pin side...

I used a PVC pipe coupling on the cotter pin side... works good!

towbar.jpg

...... and the other side is restricted by the cotter pin on the castle nut, so it only grabs part of the nut.......
I use my old C-150 tow bar and like you, initially found that the cotter pin through the castle nut was an obstruction, preventing the tow bar from fully engaging the nut. My solution was to simply install a smaller cotter pin and now consider the problem solved. YMMV.

With a little creative handiwork, you can make the cotter pin flush with the nut sides.

And the tail the bends back of the top should be trimmed also.

With a little creative handiwork, you can make the cotter pin flush with the nut sides.

And the tail the bends back of the top should be trimmed also.

Ditto. I flatten the round end of the cotter pin by tapping with a hammer and bucking bar, or by squeezing in the vice (with the wheel and fork off the airplane).