RONSIM

Well Known Member
My -6A has the Bob Olds style landing lights (automotive, dual-filament halogen bulbs). The light cutouts on the leading edge are larger than the Duckworks. Both of my lenses need replacing due to cracks. Does anyone have an idea where I might find replacement lenses?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

I believe Vans sells just the lenses and they come oversized for Duckworks. Not sure if they would be big enough for what you need? I'm wondering why they would need to be significantly bigger for a different vendor's product. Perhaps post a size requirement.

Bevan

I needed the same a few years ago. The folk at duckworks were able to make them at reasonable cost based on a couple of photos and some measurements.

I had a spare, but that went with the aircraft when I sold it.

Thanks for the replies

I bought a couple of the Duckworks, thinking they would be the same --- considerably smaller ---- I will check with Duckworks to see if I could do a "trade-in", and will also check with ACS -- I know some people make their own by heating and bending some plexi or Lexan. ---- might be fun to try.

Ron

Make them

I made my own, which are large, and similar to what you have. I used .125" lexan from the Lowes Aviation Dept, cut a little larger than needed, warmed in my home oven to just over 300 degrees then pulled over a piece of aluminum I formed to match wing L/E contour. Took about 30 minutes to make both. Trimmed and drilled to fit.

Sounds like a winner

Fixnflyguy ------ great info and sounds like something I will try ---- If it works, I might just make a new canopy! (just kidding --- !!)

I bought a couple of the Duckworks, thinking they would be the same --- considerably smaller ---- I will check with Duckworks to see if I could do a "trade-in", and will also check with ACS -- I know some people make their own by heating and bending some plexi or Lexan. ---- might be fun to try.

Ron

If you are going to try and form one on your own Ron, use Lexan (trade-name for polycarbonate). It is MUCH tougher, just as easy to heat form as acrylic, and MUCH easier to drill and cut versus Acrylic / Plexiglas. Our shop cuts and forms this stuff all day, every single day, for our products. Should be a rather simple project! No, really! :D See post #5. That's how ya do it!