BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Trying to visualize the install on an Archer Wingtip Comm antenna. Apparently the NAV antenna lays flat but the COMM version has to be more horizontal. The instructions are pretty clear until it gets to the point where is says to install flat like a NAV but then bend the antenna up into the horizontal plane of the wingtip.

I think what I understand is that you bend it just outside of where it slips between the wingtip and the wing. That makes it about 45 degrees up to the outside upper edge of the tip. The long part of the antenna then lays flat on the top side of the wingtip. Not sure exactly how you keep it up there while the whole thing flexes either?

If anyone has any pictures of a COMM install in one of the later model RV6/7/8 wingtips, I would sure appreciate seeing them. In particular if you have one showing the "bend" and how you supported it.

All help appreciated!

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

Bill, the only help I can give you is to say that I had one in my 6A and it failed to be a good choice for me.

I then installed the bent whip just in front of the main spar for ease of wireing and it works great! Even though it is between the main gear. The coupling is FWD and just to the left of the fuel valve. I can reach down and plug in (twist) the lead from my hand held radio if ever needed.........

Ditto - Not a Good Choice

Bill, the only help I can give you is to say that I had one in my 6A and it failed to be a good choice for me.

I then installed the bent whip just in front of the main spar for ease of wireing and it works great! Even though it is between the main gear. The coupling is FWD and just to the left of the fuel valve. I can reach down and plug in (twist) the lead from my hand held radio if ever needed.........

I did it, too, including the 45 degree bend. It just did not give adequate performance. I put in the bent whip and the Garmin SL-30 performed better than any radio I've ever used. I also have the coupling to allow using the handheld.

Nav was fine as-is, works great.

So performance on the NAV was good but some folks getting less than stellar on the COMM antenna? Some are OK! Since I have it and it's really for a handheld backup, I guess I'll just give it a try and see what happens.

I also understand that to convert one of the NAV antennas to a COMM you have to trim 2 inches off the trail piece.

Thanks Bill S

Hi Bill,

I assume you've already done a search, but if not, I wrote a thread earlier this year that got pretty long on "Antenna Musings" - using all sorts of options for wingtip antennas. The Archer Comm is never going to be as god as a belly-mounted whip, but can be made good enough for 50 mile range. I had some very useful email exchanges with Bob Archer himself, and he is the first to admit that he was reluctant to even try a Comm, knowing that it would never get good vertical polarization.

(I think using one with a low-power handheld would be pretty marginal)

Paul