LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Are crimpers for RG 58 the same as RG400?

I have the Eclipse lunar ratcheting crimper with die markings .255 .213 .098 .068 and .321.

This Web site, however, shows a single die set for RG400 but I cannot find any location that sells this.

The Terminal Town site shows a die set (300-051) for RG-58 AND RG-400 but I don't want to order if it's the one I've already got.

On the back of the AMP BNC connectors, it has dimensional measurements (ex: .207 for the sleeve, .039 for the pin. But the package of RG-400 connectors I got from B&C showed a different set of numbers (.043 for the pin, for example), and it's not entirely clear of the relationship between those numbers and the numbers of the die set.

that's not helping me; I didn't see a connector that matches the ones I got from B&C for the RG-400, and the numbers you cite are different than what's on the packet. And the tool die number for theirs doesn't match the Eclipse Lunar crimper.

I wish I could remember who I bought these from . I could just write them and say "hey, does crimper die work for RG-400?"

but one reply in 24 hours? c'mon..Nobody here has crimped a BNC connector onto RG-400 cable and used the Eclipse ProsKit Lunar model who can look at their crimper? Scandalous!

Bob

I have a Paladin crimper with changable dies, looks similar to yours.

http://www.itcelectronics.com/product_info.php?products_id=9984

The RG-58 die works fine for the sleeve. For the pin, I use a Daniels star crimper, my personal preference. You can solder the pin and use your crimpers for the sleeve. You could try crimping both, but without a table I would rather try a spare test connector first and test to see how well it crimped.

Hi Bob,
You do have the correct crimpers for the "correct BNC connectors".
Some measurements for ya..
Also try a couple of practice runs
rbn0ck.jpg

I have the crimper Stein sells (SAT-001 with SAT-031 hex die set). I used the same hex cavities (forget which of the five I used) for both RG-58 and RG-400. Stein also confirmed that the same could be used with the RG-142 cable that came with my ELT.

I hope this helps.

I used the RG-58 crimps

I used an RG-58 crimper from Fry's with my RG-400 cables. Seems to work fine.

you have the correct dies on the eclipse..

Crimp the ferrule to .213 and the pin to .068... ;)

The same crimper will work but don't use an RG-58 stripper without trimming the center conductor down; the RG-400 has a shorter center conductor. I found out the hard way when my connectors shorted because the center pin pushed back on the wire, which was exposed at the base, and spread it so it touched the outer part of the connector.