Palamedes

Well Known Member
Anyone have a suggestion for a good (and possibly inexpensive) GPS receiver I can use on my android device?

Actually I don't think you don't need garmin pilot to make the GDL 39 work. I think you just have to pair the devices and then the GDL acts as an auxiliary position source for Android. It will drive google earth and other apps that use the Android position subsystem.

You might have to have Garmin Pilot to do the initial pairing (haven't tried it without) but as far as I know, you can use the GDL39 independently of Pilot.

I use this one with my Android system:

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

It works great with my Samsung Galaxy tablet running Anywhere Map. I needed to load a (free) App to interface between the receiver and the tablet. Once that was loaded, the receiver locks on in just a few (2-3) seconds. Never a hiccup.

One of my friends using the same receiver with his iPad and Foreflight and it works great there, too.

Actually I don't think you don't need garmin pilot to make the GDL 39 work. I think you just have to pair the devices and then the GDL acts as an auxiliary position source for Android. It will drive google earth and other apps that use the Android position subsystem.

You might have to have Garmin Pilot to do the initial pairing (haven't tried it without) but as far as I know, you can use the GDL39 independently of Pilot.

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. Android does not let external devices act as position sources on their own. You have to use a helper app to inject the position into the system. Something like this works for standard bluetooth GPS devices, but I've not tried it with my GDL 39 yet.

As for the original post, I'd suggest a device that has a 5hz or faster update. I'm all in with the Garmin system using a GDL39 with Garmin Pilot, but that was because I wanted the ADSB-In as well. If you're not wanting to go the Garmin route, I've a friend who uses a Qstarz BT-Q818XT. Just be sure that you keep it in the 5hz mode, as WAAS is disabled when you're in 10hz mode. You just have to connect to it with a PC to change 1hz mode to 5hz. After that, it's all good.

I use a TomTom bluetooth GPS receiver that I bought on Amazon for about $30 2 or 3 years ago. I use it with a Samsung tablet and a variety of aviation apps (Garmin Pilot, Naviator, Avare, AnywhereMap, and Avilution) and it's never missed a beat. For all apps other than Garmin Pilot you need a GPS app that communicates with the GPS and sends the position info the aviation app. Garmin pilot has that feature built in so you can connect to the GPS directly through the app.

I just looked and couldnt't find a TomTom for less thann $70 on Amazon, it looks like they have discontinued making them. Here is something similar for $20:

http://www.amazon.com/GPSlim240-Holux-GPSlim-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B004QQ09UA/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1440003780&sr=8-20&keywords=bluetooth+gps+receiver

I've got an older Dual GPS that will do it using bluetooth... I think they used to cost $100.

PM and you can have it for $45 including shipping in CONUS.