Noel Simmons

Well Known Member
I wanted to post about some of the things we are doing here at Blue Sky Aviation.

Currently we are finishing up our 37th airplane it will be an RV-7 with the IO-390 from Lycoming. In the panel we have the Vertical Power VP200 and the dual HX?s from GRT, and of course heated leather seats from CAD (it is cold here in MT).

I got bored one day on January 1 and decided to start my own injection molding company which has a 3D scanner, 3D CAD SolidWorks, GibbsCam, to run the HAAS milling machine, and an Arburg injection molding machine.

What I can, and have done, is scan some part like the cowling, create parts and molds for the parts.

So far we have CNC milled rudder bar extensions so you can be sure you are not riding the brakes. These just clamp on with 4 screws, takes about 10 minutes at a weight of just a few ounces, is a no brainier for RV-6-7-9-10?s.

Custom designed panels that we either water jet or mill. All the mounting holes radio rack brackets and their corresponding holes drilled to the correct size. For this last panel with the VP-200 I made a 15 degree wedge for the so the pilot can see VP and the EIS, the aluminum radio rack support was molded into the side of the wedge to preserve space on the panel.

Molds for the carbon fiber oil cooler plenum (fiberglass where we expect to touch aluminum) for the Airflow Oil cooler that we mounted on the firewall, weighs 2.8 oz. This will work with RV-6-7-8-9. When using a heavy engine it helps move the CG back a little, saves the baffling from being beat to death and is the correct size oil cooler for the bigger engines.

Molds for the intake and filter housing that replace the Van?s snorkel. This will work on the RVs with the forward facing induction systems. This is more of a ram air system, uses the Van?s K&N supplied filter, and is MUCH EASIER to install. AND did I mention you don?t have to modify the baffling and or support the much heavier snorkel with the baffling.

I would like to solicit ideas from the forum to build for the RV?s, NO job to big or small, plastic, metal, fiberglass, Carbon fiber, or wood, it does not matter. My ultimate passions is to one day (sooner than later) is to design my wooden glider and become a member of the Experimental test pilots association

Thank you

Noel Simmons

got any pictures of your oil cooler plenum? I didn't see any at your site.

sending you a PM about other stuff

Snorkel replacement

I would like to see some information and pictures of your snorkel replacement for forward facing air induction. If you could PM me or send me an email off site I am interested in seeing what you have in regards to this.

Empennage Fairing that Fits

Noel, how about a empennage fairing that actually fits out of the box?

Hans

Air induction mod...

I would like to see some information and pictures of your snorkel replacement for forward facing air induction. If you could PM me or send me an email off site I am interested in seeing what you have in regards to this.

As am I! First glance looks like a retrofitted Rocket intake.

Last edited:
Noel, I tried to find your brtake peddle adapters on line, but when I click on the peddle it takes me somewhere else. Please check the links on your web site.

nose to the grind stone!

Yesterday was a full one! I did not get a chance to send picturs to the folks that I promised pictures to:mad:

Yoshie will work on the link for the break pedals this week end. the link takes you to Y's Engineering which is the company we started to make things like this.

Web site updated

Yoshie got the web site updated so the rudder bar stand offs are up. the link on www.BlueSkyAviation.net will take you to the Y's Engineering site witch has the paypal shopping cart.

We will have the intake systme and the oil cooler ducts available there soon.

'A' Model Nose Gear Stiffener

I would like to solicit ideas from the forum to build for the RV’s, NO job to big or small, plastic, metal, fiberglass, Carbon fiber, or wood, it does not matter.

Noel-

Looking at your brake pedal extension, which I ordered, I thought of another idea. I have seen many A models have nose wheel shimmy on landing. Yes, lots of guys are trying to install a spacer in the wheel hub to prevent them from getting to tight. However, I have also seen guys that make a stiff wood brace, that has a groove cut out of it. They wrap or secure that around the nose gear to help absorb the vibration and prevent the nose wheel shimmy. This has to be a fairly small part, as it still needs to fit under the fiberglass fairing that cover the gear leg. Just a thought for an additional product. Maybe a light carbon fiber model?

Noel-

Looking at your brake pedal extension, which I ordered, I thought of another idea. I have seen many A models have nose wheel shimmy on landing. Yes, lots of guys are trying to install a spacer in the wheel hub to prevent them from getting to tight. However, I have also seen guys that make a stiff wood brace, that has a groove cut out of it. They wrap or secure that around the nose gear to help absorb the vibration and prevent the nose wheel shimmy. This has to be a fairly small part, as it still needs to fit under the fiberglass fairing that cover the gear leg. Just a thought for an additional product. Maybe a light carbon fiber model?

Good Idea! can you get me a diameter of the nose gear top and bottom and the distance between the points you took the diameters?

Nose Gear Stiffener

Good Idea! can you get me a diameter of the nose gear top and bottom and the distance between the points you took the diameters?

Yes, but not until the weekend. Can't make it up to the airport during the week.