Hi,

I found that on the small parts I just pull it off. Be careful with the small/thin parts like the flaperon skins. I actually bent one getting carried away with the plastic removal from the inside.

On the larger flat pieces, I started the film aroud a 2 x 2 piece of wood. Then I carefully just rolled the wood and rolled the plastic off the metal. Just go slow and careful. I set the skin on my large flat table covered with a towel so it was well supported while all this is going on.

It is very easy to bend an edge if you are not careful.

Good Luck.

Me too -- I was paying too much attention watching last year's MASTERs on TV while disrobing the aluminum. I think that is where Van's makes its profit margin. :D

Heat it slightly with a hair dryer or heat gun and it will come right off.

I had some that was on for many years and that worked fine.

Has anyone found an easy way to remove the blue protective coating
from the sheets of aluminum?

I used a pipe (the same one I used to roll the leading edges of the elevators and ailerons) with a vise grip as a crank handle. You need start pealing by hand until you have enough to wrap around the pipe and then use the vise grip to roll the pipe along the sheet. Make sure you slow down when you get to the end so you don't bend the edge. When you're finished, use a utility knife to cut through the layers of plastic on the pipe and it comes right off.
IMG_0592.jpg

I did the same as Jake! Once I had a 1" wide edge I taped the plastic to the broom handle.
display_log.php

Just be careful near the end, you can bend the panel!!

I've have a set of PVC tubes of different diameters and lengths that I use. Simply get a corner started and then use the PVC tube to roll it off. It will keep you from bending the sheet and will also save your fingers. I've also found that on larger pieces, and the inside of various pre-bent assemblies, it is much easier to carve it into smaller pieces with my soldering iron first, then roll off each piece.

Jerry Folkerts

The pipe method is great for handling the peeled plastic but doesn't address the adhesive issue. Heat is the answer. I often place parts in the sun for a few minutes - this has worked even when the ambient temperature is around 40F. A combination of heating and the pipe works very well for large sheets, even when the plastic has been on for years. In the winter I often hold small parts over the propane heater (a great excuse for stopping to warm my hands). It doesn't take much heat to make the adhesive workable; warm - but not hot - to the touch is good.