redhawk

Well Known Member
I am looking at buying a plane with a 2 screen Blue Mountain Efis with autopilot.
It's a new build/install and they are having problems with the attitude and autopilot performance.
Does anyone have experience fine tuning the Blue Mtn system?
Any suggestions are appreciated!

The Easy Answer is-----

Call Stein.

Explain the situation to him.

Do what he recommends.

I have a BMA lite plus gen 4 EFIS.

The magnetometer was very sensitive in mine and difficult to get far enough away from ferrous metal to not be influenced.

After flying it for a while, it depicted me rolling inverted while straight and level. I flew into 1A3 copperhill TN I believe it was and met with Greg. They repaired the EFIS. They said the accelerometers were very sensitive and easily damaged by shock. I learned I could fly the plane while the EFIS rolls inverted 50 feet off the ground during a zero zero takeoff...
Since Greg repaired it though, it has worked well. It will now only get confused when I subject it to very high bank angles.

Have you tried contacting Greg to see if he is currently providing any support?
http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/contact.html

Blue Mountain blahs

I also had a BM G4 large screen in my purchased RV-9 . Could never make it work right, didn't trust it, no real support, and database updates were iffy, so I replaced the whole thing with a Dynon, and never looked back. My recommendation is to do the same thing. Just get rid of it, and get something from any of the other major suppliers.

I was a big fan and owner of several Blue Mountains in various planes. They were feature rich and if installed and calibrated correctly they were truly marvelous.

The Gen 4 s were never fully debugged and never fully did all they were advertised to do. The earlier versions (once you got them working) worked well for many years or about 400 hrs then crapped out.

You cannot get them repaired or serviced. Someone ( a private individual) is selling up to date databases but this is sometimes problematic.

Best advice is reduce the price you pay for the plane by what it will cost to remove and replace the Blue Mountains. Even if they get them working right they will not stay that way.

Do not buy a plane with Blue Mountains thinking you can use them for a year or two. Assume they will **** the bed on day one and lower your offering price accordingly.

As mentioned above call Stein. He walked me through the best method for transitioning my plane from Blue Mountain to a new EFIS that preserved my panel structure and equipment functionality.