Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Looking at the Van's sheet with all the V-speeds, I was confused by the "Blue Line" entry. :)

When I did some multi-engine training, I was taught that "Blue Line" was the V_yse, Best Single-Engine Rate of Climb. Van's describes, properly, "Maneuvering Speed", which is V_a, and is a range which depends on weight.

Assuming the Van's sheet is just wrong on the name Blue Line...what IS the V_a range for the different models?

(Also...does anybody else call V_a "blue line"?)

You are correct in your statement about multi-engine blue-line. Va is normally not marked on airspeed indicator.

AIRSPEED INDICATOR MARKINGS
All speeds in statute mph
Blue Line
(Maneuvering speed. Maximum speed at which full control can be applied. Speed at which full
elevator control would impose loads exceeding limits)
RV-4

RV-6/6A

RV-7/7A

RV-8/8A

RV-9/9A

RV-10

My blue line on my RV-7 is my Va and it is at 123 kts. I guess it has to be blue as green, red, yellow and white are all taken up. This is the first aircraft I have owned where I have had a line for Va. Va has always just been placarded on the panel on my other aircraft.

My blue line on my RV-7 is my Va and it is at 123 kts. I guess it has to be blue as green, red, yellow and white are all taken up. This is the first aircraft I have owned where I have had a line for Va. Va has always just been placarded on the panel on my other aircraft.

And that's Va at what weight?

Published Va is usually at max gross weight.

At less than gross weight, Va is slower. Said another way, if light weight and at published Va IAS, one could over-G. Use caution.

Jim

Published Va is usually at max gross weight.

At less than gross weight, Va is slower. Said another way, if light weight and at published Va IAS, one could over-G. Use caution.

Jim

Um, yes, I know that. Maybe I'm being too subtle here...

What is Va for the normal range of weights of the various models of RV?

You're just saying "don't know what it is, so be careful", which isn't much help. I'm asking what it *actually* is at various weights.

Every certificated plane I've flown has had a range for Va either in the POH or on a placard, and the range can be pretty wide.

yes, pay attention, especially you(us) -9 drivers!

nothing like seeing it in print....when people ask, 'why can't I yank & bank in my 180 hp C/S -9a????? I'm just doing loops & rolls, real easy eh?
well.....
you gotta be pretty vigilant .....and/or skilled .....to stay under 118 kts!

sorry, not to hijack, returning to your previously scheduled Q & A!

Really? So what's your Va when you fly solo with half fuel? It might surprise you to find out that it's less than Va at MTOW.

No it doesn't surprise me at all but I'm not going to full or sudden control deflection anyway and I have a G-meter.