TShort

Well Known Member
Anyone have a source / table that shows the pilot hole sizes for blind rivets? I'm getting ready to pull the rivets in the 4 holes of the rear spar for the L elevator (I'm at work - don't have the plans / rivet number with me) and they don't fit in the #40 drilled / dimpled holes. It is very close, so #30 is too big.
Just looking for a reference for what size to drill for these blind rivets.

Thanks
Thomas
-8 empennage

Rivet size

I don't have my plans handy, but I don't recall anything but -4 (#30) sized pop rivets in the entire kit.

Last edited:
TShort said:
Anyone have a source / table that shows the pilot hole sizes for blind rivets? I'm getting ready to pull the rivets in the 4 holes of the rear spar for the L elevator (I'm at work - don't have the plans / rivet number with me) and they don't fit in the #40 drilled / dimpled holes. It is very close, so #30 is too big.
Just looking for a reference for what size to drill for these blind rivets.

Thanks
Thomas
-8 empennage

Since blind rivets are generally not as strong as solid rivets, as a practice I drill the hole to provide as close a fit as possible. For most of the blind rivets we use on our RV's, I prepare the hole with a 1/8" drill bit which is .125. A #30 drill bit is .1285 and gives the average blind rivet an opportunity to vibrate loose over time. Your question raises an issue. Most builders do not use a micrometer and I suppose strictly speaking, one is not needed. But I found its use invaluable time after time. You reach for a fastener or bolt and are unsure of the proper drill or reamer to use. A micrometer, especially a digital one will give you the information instantly taking the guesswork out of what drill to use. If you can, measure the diameter a blind rivet with a micrometer (or dial calipers), and you will see that a 1/8" drill bit is perfectly sufficient and desirable if you mean to produce the highest quality hole possible.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Although the majority of the pulled rivets called out in the plans have an 1/8" shank, the MK-319-BS flush monel rivets supplied by Van's have a nominal diameter of 7/64 "

Hawkeye Hughes