Rigster

I'm New Here
Forgive me if this is covered somewhere else. I have looked on the rv-list archives and other place but have not found any info. (could be my searching ability)

Anyway, in the construction notes on the rv-8 HS it says to locate the holes that attach the hs-708 to the rear spar assembly. Drill these holes out to #19 for use with the BSPQ-5-4 blind rivets.

All of the rv-8's I have looked at don't use the blind rivets to attach the hs708.
I talked to van's about this, they said if you don't use blind rivets on the hs 708 you won't be able to get all of the rivets in the hs without using some pop rivets.

I am thinking if you don't drill out to #19 and use regular rivets you can still buck all of the rivets on the hs. This assumes you don't rivet the hs 405 and hs 404 to the spars until all of the internal hs rivets have been bucked.

Am I missing something. Any enlightenment would be appreciated

Thanks

Dave
RV-8 Tail
Boise

Pop It

Dave,

Using pops to join ribs and spar is an incredibly sensible approach to what is otherwise a miserable, forearm-skin-peeling experience trying to use solids. Riveting the spar last by way of pull rivets allows easy internal access for bucking the skin rivets. You see 8s and 7s in the field with solids because the plans change showing pops is fairly recent.

Also, do yourself a favor and order a mess of MK-319-BS pull rivets. They substitute in the same dimple as a 3/32 and they will come in mighty handy here and there beyond the few used per plans.

Send me a private message with contact info if you want to look over my current project (-7; same tail feathers) near Cloverdale and Fairview.

John Siebold
Boise, ID