Bleeding brakes

Your best tool for bleeding brakes is probably the search tool. Lots of posts on the subject with various methods and equipment.
Good luck.

One thing that isn't clear to me when bleeding the brakes using this method (forcing the fluid up from the bleeder valve at the wheel... http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...leeding+brakes), should I remove the cap from the top of the brake reservoir when doing this? The cap appears to be porous, so maybe i just leave it on and air will be forced out through the cap?

take cap off...

... and watch as fluid rises, you can use a 10cc syringe to remove some before overflows and it runs down the firewall.

What about removing the fittings from the reservoir on the firewall, and pumping until fluid starts pouring out of the lines here before connecting the lines back to the reservioir on the firewall?
Actually, what about disconnecting the lines at the master cylinders as well, and filling all lines with fluid prior to the bleeding procedure described above? I.e. get most of the air out directly first, and then use the bleeding procedure described above just to push remaining bubbles out?
Or would that be a waste of time?

Another question - I have all bonaco lines, so none are transparent. I won't be able to visibly check for bubbles anywhere. What have others with this setup done?

this will give a mess!!!

Hello Phil

Be carefull, you dont see the level of fluid throu the filter ... guess what will happen! You have to clean the mess on the firewall:eek:

Better is to remove the filter, place an tube adapter with the same thread, but a toube around an dack into a bottle, or take a bigger clear tube and let it stand up straight, so you can see when you reach the max. level and suck back a bit of fluid.

Be carefull when you do the other side, it will push air and bubbels up maybe.

Good luck and regards,

Dominik

I put a fitting on op of the resevoir and ran a clear hose to a bottle. I bled a pretty good amount to get all of the air out. Then I sucked out what I needed with a Turkey injector syringe.

Hi Phil,

...just sent you a PM with an old post about some clever tricks for bleeding brakes. Hope they work for you.

A quart of fluid will be enough to fill and bleed your brakes for about 4 projects. Use the adapter on the top of the reservoir, it makes it easy. Your local Home Depot aviation dept has a nylon 1/8" pipe thread serated tubing adapter which you can put a piece of 1/4" nylon or propolyene tubing on and run to a collection bottle. You can reuse this if you keep everything clean.

I used synthetic transmission fluid. Assuming you researched brake bleeding, you should have seen some discussions on this. I talked with the techs at Matco and they confirm it as being appropriate to use. Much easier to obtain and about $6 a quart.

thanks! On the advice of Kevin Horton, I've ordered a quart of MIL-PRF-82282 brake fluid, which apparently has a much higher flash point than the older stuff that Vans sells. I'll be doing the bleeding procedure in the next couple of weeks.