Harvey L. Sorensen

Well Known Member
How important, if at all is it to run a blast tube to the gascolator? Do we have a problem of vapor lock. If there is a chance at all I'll run one. Also the alternator, mine has a fan, do I still need a blast tube?
Looking for advice.
RV-9A. Just chugging along.

Harvey L. Sorensen said:
How important, if at all is it to run a blast tube to the gascolator? Do we have a problem of vapor lock. If there is a chance at all I'll run one. Also the alternator, mine has a fan, do I still need a blast tube?
Running a blast tube to the gascolator, and shielding the gascolator from exhaust system heat is a good idea. If you are going to run mogas, then there is always a risk of vapor lock. Of course 100LL will also vapor lock if the temp is high enough and the pressure low enough. Cool fuel is good.

There has been a lot of debate about the alternator cooling blast tube. What I take away from that debate is that it can't hurt, not required, but might prolong the life of the alternator.

Alternator Cooling

I just installed a Plane-Power 60 amp Alternator.
They do recommend a blast tube.

Al Smith
RV6 N495AB
Finish
KOS

Depends on where you live and fly and how youre FF is set up,think the way off the hot air running inside youre cowl!!!! Think about how you let the exess off hot from the heater when it is closed,will it blow direct on youre fuel system etc etc. In Denmark we have from 15deg F to 95deg F and an RV6 needed extra innsulation mine didnt with the same engine setup.
I have a 90deg bend on my exhaust from the heat-valve and two small plastic
tubes to the magnetos my 40 amp auto alternator cools itself.
As Mikey pointed out beware off auto-fuel here you need all the insulation you
can get.

j?rn M?ller
RV8 200 hours

gascolater

I put mine in the wing root of my RV6 like on Eustas Bowhay's (sp). It was in an old RVATOR write up on his amphib RV6. You drill a 1 inch hole in the wing root fairing for the fuel sampler. Much cooler and out of the way. I will do it again on the 8A.

gascolator relocation

Don, do you have a drawing to reference the gascolater location on the root? sounds interesting for my -8A.

gascolater

Write up and picture in the August 96 RVATOR. If you don't have it I could scan it and send it or look for a picture of mine.