APACHE 56

Well Known Member
What's the opinion/experience/advice regarding installation of a blast tube for the engine driven fuel pump? I don't recollect seeing one on anybody else's aircraft. However, one of our local IA's allowed as how it was a good idea.

I have a IO-390 in a RV8 and live in Florida.

Thanks,
Don

What's the opinion/experience/advice regarding installation of a blast tube for the engine driven fuel pump? I don't recollect seeing one on anybody else's aircraft. However, one of our local IA's allowed as how it was a good idea.

I have a IO-390 in a RV8 and live in Florida.

Thanks,
Don

Opinion: Gee, seems that it might help it run cooler - sorry no empirical data
Experience: Got one on mine - O-360 - 150 hours - still there
Advice: If you are going to install the shroud and need to remove the pump to do it, do it BEFORE you hang the engine.

I installed one. Don't really have a comparison, but I've never noticed any problem with the pump in 250 hours. Mine is just some flexible conduit that is RTVed into a piece of Al tube pointed at the pump - no shroud.

greg

I have a blast tube without a shroud on the engine fuel pump.
Also a blast tube on both mags, alternator, vacuum pump
and the gascolator. They are light weight, cheap ($4.00 each),
and easy to install. I have no idea if any or all are needed.
The cooled items may last a little longer.
Tom

I have one going to the gascolaror and one to the fuel pump. Also one to each EI, and one to each coil. I've never experienced vapor lock when operating into and out of some high hot airports, but I did several times flying my friend's plane similar to mine.