BlackRV7

Well Known Member
I've made enough progress to be able to post a picture which looks something like an airplane. For the longest time, since Memorial Day Sunday, Black Magic resembled anything but an airplane. Thanks to people like Allen and Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines, Stein at Steinair, Carlos at Grand Rapids, all at Trio Avionics, Ken at Van's aircraft, Mike Kahuna Stewart for building my fuel tank while I was busy on other details, Steve Eberhart for the carbon fiber panel, Eric at AIG insurance, and especially all VAF members who have lended a hand with moving the airplane, telephone advice and wrench turning. It has been somewhat like Scaled Composites around here, if you are standing without working for 15 minutes, go get us some food or drinks. It has been a bee hive around here. I see light at the end of the tunnel. As you can see my new Barrett engine is hung, after firewall repair, and I have most of the engine systems hooked up. I am working on installing the new panel this evening. If all goes as planned, I should be able to fire the panel up before dark this evening. After that it is a matter of installing the forward deck, windscreen (gluing it on this time) and the cowl.
progresskz4.jpg

This is where I want to be:

blackmagic2mn3.jpg

Last edited:
looks great

Looks great, Dana...keep on pounding and your chin up...I bet the 2nd first flight will mean more to you than the 1st...:)

Dana,

You are really moving along, that is great!

I thought you were going to replace the fuselage, I guess not.

Is that a ground strap on your exahaust?

(edit)
AHH! stupid question. I just realized it's a ground strap that's just hanging there.

Dana,

I thought you were going to replace the fuselage, I guess not.

I cheated with the pic, you're looking at the "good" side;) Panel is in, I'm adding power and should be able to get a pic before bedtime.

Man, I have become VERY good at drilling rivets out.........................:mad:

RE:2nd grin soon!!!!

Dana

Thanks for the update. Things are looking great. I look forward to your 2nd RV Grin!!!!:D

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A....Paint Prep....:eek:

Looks great. Keep at it and hopefully we both can fly to the KR/RV Gathering. My Sky Terrier would be proud to snuggle up to Black Magic on the ramp there. My Terrier will keep those big old mean airplanes away.

Looks great. Keep at it and hopefully we both can fly to the KR/RV Gathering. My Sky Terrier would be proud to snuggle up to Black Magic on the ramp there. My Terrier will keep those big old mean airplanes away.

The snuggling up part kinda concerns me.....still got this "too close for comfort" thing going on.

Tell ya what, let that terrier bark, I'll fire off this locomotive horn I installed (you don't think 86 pounds is too much, do ya) along with the strobes, change of color to Doug's "pink", flags and security detail and maybe I'll fly to the gathering. Have I overthought this thing, gone too far or over reacted???????????:rolleyes:;)

:) ;) Dana, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, huh?

Btw, great progress. Hope you get to enjoy your plane much. much, much longer this time .

Joe

Hey, I've got that same stool in my shop! :D
How come yours isn't covered with black overspray like mine (from being used to hold the spinner during painting)?

Looking good.