BlackRV7

Well Known Member
OK gang, the time has finally arrived, after the jump school pilot decided to play bumper cars with Black Magic last Memorial Day Sunday, to button things up this week. Just for the fun of it, I'm going to play and work this weekend. The play part will be throwing a picture up as I finish each scheduled item on my final paint punch list.

weekendwork004.jpg

Everything is painted except the top of the cowl, which I again had to do some re contouring of the inlets to make it fit the bottom cowl, wheel pants, windscreen strip and fuel tank, along with a batch of screw heads. Yesterday between clients, yes my CPA practice is at my house, and it was casual Friday;), I hung plastic, put a filter in, fan in the window at the front of the garage and made a very small paint booth. Early evening yesterday I hung the wheel pants with safety wire off a makeshift set of stands with a bar between them and primed them. My curiosity got the best of me and I marveled in my accomplishment a little too long and knocked the bar down....with the wheel pants tacky still hanging:eek:....Well, my weekend plans changed a little so, this morning I am going to wash the tank, acid etch it and prime it. While it is drying I'm going to resand:( the wheel pants. When the tank drys enough, I'll hang the wheel pants ...again....(and safety wire the rod to the stands) and shoot those. All the while smooth priming the upper cowl, installing the old oil door from the original cowl...sand it and shoot it. As you can tell, I'll have multiply things going on, at the same time today..typical fiberglass work:( With any luck tomorrow is paint day:D Between all this, I'll be working on the forward deck and hope to install the fiberglass strip on the aft portion of the windscreen. I plan on painting the forward deck Weds.

I'll post pictures of each process as I go this weekend. Why you ask, just for the fun of it and my mouth has now written a check my !#$ has got to keep:)

I better get to work

Last edited:
Nice art work display in the living room, but where is the beer cooler? It's the weekend man time to recreate.

where is the beer cooler? It's the weekend man time to recreate.

I am re-creating;)....No time for beer:30 just yet today

OK, 10:59 am and the fuel tank and windscreen strip are primed.

weekendwork016.jpg

Time to smooth prime the top cowl, let it start drying and start sanding on the wheel pants.

More to follow.

Can anybody tell I'm having fun:)

12:45 and the wheel pants are primed, now onto finishing the top cowl....

weekendwork025.jpg

Quick, somebody in Kentucky stop by and wake Dana up! He's obviously fallen asleep in the paint booth :eek:

Hah, definitely not asleep at the wheel.......had to buy another quart of primer:rolleyes: I would have been fine had I not had to re-shoot the wheel pants. Oh well, what's a little more money.

Top cowl smooth primed with the second coat awaiting drying and sanding.

4:10PM, gear leg fairings and fuselage intersection fairings primed. Still on schedule.

weekendwork032.jpg

I am re-creating;)....No time for beer:30 just yet today

OK, 10:59 am and the fuel tank and windscreen strip are primed.

weekendwork016.jpg

Time to smooth prime the top cowl, let it start drying and start sanding on the wheel pants.

More to follow.

Now that will hold a LOT of beer!

twidling thumbs

doh, de doh, de doh..................just finished sanding the smooth prime on the top cowl and waiting on the third coat to dry. Should be able to sand it off in about an hour and prime it. Fiberglass work...........work some and then wait:mad:

doh, de doh, de doh..................just finished sanding the smooth prime on the top cowl and waiting on the third coat to dry. Should be able to sand it off in about an hour and prime it. Fiberglass work...........work some and then wait:mad:
It is all in the scheduling and sequencing of your work :D. That is why you won't find anything but fast hardener in my shop. Heaters, heat lamps and fans are your friend. You can skimp on the last few coats of Smooth Prime by priming with your epoxy primer and coming back and filling the final voids with spot putty. Spot putty dries somewhat faster than Smooth Prime and can fill larger voids with one application.

Spot putty dries somewhat faster than Smooth Prime and can fill larger voids with one application.

No spot putty here Steve:D (Steve is my paint guru) Seriously, the pin holes win. I don't have any big voids in the cowl top, just bad light. When I turned the cowl, I saw some weave (I know spot putty here:D) showing so a little more smooth prime and done for the night. I'll take the progress. Time to go down and clean the gun, kick back and...................beer:30;)

More to follow at light:30 tomorrow....stay tuned, should see black tomorrow!!

I would wait a few days before priming over smoothprime. I primed/painted mine a day or so after the last application of smoothprime and if you look closely, you can see wee little bubbles under the paint. I suspect, but don't know for certain, that this is the smoothprime off-gassing.

I know some of the canard guys have moved away from smoothprime for similar reasons.

I would wait a few days before priming over smoothprime. I primed/painted mine a day or so after the last application of smoothprime and if you look closely, you can see wee little bubbles under the paint. I suspect, but don't know for certain, that this is the smoothprime off-gassing.

I know some of the canard guys have moved away from smoothprime for similar reasons.

I have always opted to not use the cross linking if I am going to do all my work with smooth prime in one day. I haven't had any issues going this route. I suspect it is the cross linker. I just go thin and sand all the material off, leaving only what remains in the pin holes. I was a flyin demonstrator for smooth prime for a couple years and used it on my former plastic airplane. Thanks for head up though, Kyle.

After coffee and morning VAF, it's time to warm the paint booth up, sand the cowl and prime it. Hope I don't have the bubbles Kyle refers to:eek: Times a wastin'

Morning fun

Did I mention I hate sanding...........

One cowl primed. Yes, I jumped the gun and primed before I installed the oil door. I am using the same door off the original cowl so all I need to do is trim the hole, drill a couple holes and squeeze a couple rivets. Should be no big deal.

Off to get a bite to eat....then black

weekendwork035.jpg

WOO HOO

We have BLACK!! This feels great, no other way to say it. It's getting close to another second, first flight.

weekendwork036.jpg

Dana,

Those parts look great! Do you want to paint my plane?

I have a simple coat of paint on the FG parts to protect them until I get it into a real paint shop and I must admit, they look bad! :(

Dana,

Do you want to paint my plane?

Ugh.........................no:) I really didn't plan on having to paint mine again, course I just heard the jump plane that played tag with Black Magic flipped over (while unoccupied) during the wind storm we had here two weeks ago and ended up underneath the jump plane King Air. Just a little side note.

Anyway, the wheel pants are done, time for the tank!!

weekendwork.jpg

Done!!

Cowl added to the finished mix. I guess it's finally beer:30....

Time to let these pieces dry a couple days, prime and paint the forward deck, then time to button this rebuild up and go for a flight....time to find some warm, sunny weather....Savannah....no wait, Bahamas and a rum drink

weekendwork041.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!

Dana, looks great! After all that work you put in this weekend you made me feel like I needed a beer too, thanks :D
KC

Dana, beautiful painting. I am curious as to your set up. Kind of Paint, primer, gun used?..thx

Paint!!

It really bothered me to see your plane hurt so early in its little life, I very glad to see it coming together in time for the spring flying. That is the best looking paint booth I have ever seen, and the cleanest too!!!

Randy

Weather might hold for Saturday

Looks like possible rain on Friday but Saturday looks clear and maybe a high in the low 60's - not sure about the wind though. But this is the Ohio Valley and conditions change quickly.