prkaye

Well Known Member
For my (homemade) modular panel, the panel sections attach with #8 screws. My panel will be black, so I'd like to get some black screws (pan head or button head) for this). I think there are "black oxide" finished fasteners available. Does anybody know where I could get black #8 round head screws?

Black hex head

My panel is flat black and I used black hex head screws. My local mom and pop hardware store had most of them in stock. I bought out all the 1/2" #8's they had on hand and they even special ordered more for me.

I think standard procedure is to use brass ones where possible to keep your compass happy. The brass ones at Spruce have a black finish.

Stainless look great

I'd planned the same thing and bough stainless screws as a temporary use until I got the black ones. They are easily available at the local fastener shop. Once installed, the finished appearance was so nice, I decided to keep them! Might want to give this a try and see. It sets everything off nicely, contrasting with the flat black.

It sets everything off nicely, contrasting with the flat black.

I thought of that, and agree it can look nice. From a functional ergonomics point of view though, I don't think it's great. The only things you really want contrasting with your panel are instruments. Other things distract the eyes. The Transport Canada IFR Procedures manual explains that the instrument panel should ideally be black or grey, so that the eyes naturally-seek out the instruments.

Since the original post...

...talked about the panel mounting screws (not instrument mounting) then brass is not needed... they are probably being screwed into steel nutplates anyway.

These grade 8 button head ones look nice and come in black oxide from MSC....

0561402B-11.jpg

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2071248&PMT4NO=0

and at $12.39/100 you should not go broke...:)

Stainless fasteners stuck in a piece of cardboard and sprayed with rattle-can paint. How do you think the big guys get the special gray screws? Cheap, non-magnetic, fast, and you won't need to order the sizes you forgot since the hardware store is close by.