Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
Can someone please help me make sense of the following statement:

http://www.p-thomas.com/rv/picts/060926Statement.jpg
As it is, it looks like the dashes behind the number don't mean anything because they're everywhere.
It looks like as I owe them $84.28 and that I have on deposit $1089 [which I'm not sure how to interpret.] Anyone knows what this means?
I'm quite surprised at the whole thing because I *don't* owe them anything, they owe me $84.28 as it can be seen on the original bill below. This is the only transaction I've ever had with Van's.
http://www.p-thomas.com/rv/picts/Invoice23318p2of2.jpg
I'm sure a phone call to Van's would solve the problem but I won't be able to call them until Friday.

I hate the thought that I would owe someone. I don't even borrow a dollar from friends so this is getting to me! Looking at this, the only thing I could come up with is that they're wasting ressources sending me a notice that they owe me money and didn't cut me a check for it. Of course that doesn't make sense and I can't come up with anything for the "On deposit".

Frustrated!

Edit: Anyone knows what was cut out in the original bill after "Invoice Balance Does Not"...?

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an accountant, but my interpretation is that the -1778.71 reflects the payment you made the first time, as shown on the original invoice, and the -84.28 reflects the credit, or the amount Van's still owes you, as shown on both the original invoice and on this later invoice. Maybe Van's practice is to not refund immediately because additional purchases are often made. Others will have a better idea of what Van's refund practice is, though.

Good luck!

John

Credit Balance

Paul,

The 84.28 appears to be a credit balance from your original invoice (Dated 7-31-06):
Invoice Total (amount owed Van's): $1,694.43
Payment (amount paid to Van's): $1,778.71
Invoice Balance (overpayment to Van's): $84.28-

The "on deposit" amount of $1,089 is a different story. It's nowhere to be found on the original invoice, just on the statement dated 9-26-06. I'm assuming you've sent Van's money for another purchase since the original invoice (??) If so, that could be why it is shown on this statement as a 'deposit'. This statement is for Invoice 23318. My guess is the $1,089 is related to another invoice. I could be wrong.

Either way it sounds like they owe you instead of the other way around.

Don't sweat it and give 'em a call on Monday.

C-ya.

Thanks guys.
I figured that the $84 is something that they owed me, just confused as to why they'd sent me a bill for it.

As far as the deposit, I don't have a clue what it could be for. So far I've only had the single original order. It will be interesting to see what it's about.

My guess is their book keeping computer send statements to everyone that doesn't have a zero balance regardless of whether it is a credit or debit.