RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I received my Bill of Sale (BOS) from Van's, in the block titled "AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURER & MODEL" they just put the model (RV-8A). At the top of the form where is says "Aircraft Bill of Sale" they strike out "aircraft" and write in "KIT". So my question, is it assumed since it is a kit that the Purchaser is the Manufacturer and that is why they do not put a manufacturer in the block above? I want this filled out properly and don't know if this will work. I have the EAA guide book and in their example the builders name is listed as the manufacturer in the "AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURER & MODEL" block.

Van's must do hundreds of these forms a year, so I am guessing the way they filled it out will be fine. I just don't want anything to hold things up and I know common sense is usually not allowed when it comes to government forms.

So if you have submitted a BOS filled out like mine, did it go well or was there a problem. Need to know if I have to order another BOS from Van's

Cheers

WHat I did

I put LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME, MIDDLEINITIAL RV-8 on my AC Form 8050-1, and as I recall that's exactly what I put on the bill of sale from Vans and that's exactly how it appears when you get the registration.

Don

Van's completed Bill of Sale

I put LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME, MIDDLEINITIAL RV-8 on my AC Form 8050-1, and as I recall that's exactly what I put on the bill of sale from Vans and that's exactly how it appears when you get the registration.

Don

Van's does the bill of sale I don't I gave them my name, aircraft model and address as they requested, then they complete the Bill of Sale (Form 8050-2) but in the "AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURER & MODEL" they only put "RV-8A", they did not put my name as manufacturer. Had I filled out the form I would have done as you said. I assume since Van's do these forms all the time this is OK, I just don't know why they did not follow the example given in the EAA aircraft registration kit.

Someone must have recently used a Bill of Sale from Van's, I just want to know if yours went thru and was filled out the same as mine (no manufacturer listed in the "AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURER & MODEL" block.)

Half the battle is getting the paperwork correct

Van's Bill of Sale

Mike, I sent in Van's bill of sale within the last month. I added my name as the manufacturer to the bill of sale. The hard copy of registration came back 2 weeks later, no problem. I also left the dollar amount blank.

Mike

Aircraft Manufacturer & Model

What was the final outcome of this issue? I too have a Bill of Sale which lists only the Model, in the space which is supposed to list the Aircraft Manufacturer & Model. The EAA guide shows both in the space provided.

With experimental amateur-built aircraft, the builder is the manufacturer. The model can be whatever you wish. (Most people us Van's model, i.e. RV-7).
The serial number can be whatever you wish. (Most people use the "kit number").

To alter the form, or send it in as is?

Thanks Mel. I understood already that I am the Manufacturer. The question is about what to do with the Bill of Sale which Van's has filled out contrary to the content asked for in the form and contrary to guidance from the EAA registration kit. I understand what is asked for in the form. Now I have the choice of altering the form by writing in the information out of order, or sending it in as is and taking the chance of the application being rejected.

out of order

It occurs to me that people might not understand what I am saying, not having seen the form. In the space provided, should be the Aircraft Manufacturer on the left, followed by the Model on the right. In the left hand side of the space Van's has written the model. If I fill in my name on the right hand side, will the FAA list RV-7 as the manufacturer, and my name as the model? Clearly, others must have received the Bill of Sale with the model listed on the left. My original question is what have people been doing? Sending in the form as is? or, altering it and risking some kind of mix up?

Last edited:
Here's what I did a few months ago and I didn't have any issues:
-- In the second block that starts with "For and in consideration...". I wrote in $1.00.
-- I left the N number blank
-- My aircraft manufacturer & model block only listed the model, in my case RV-10, and that was typed in by Van's. No manufacturer was listed.
-- Van' s asked me what I wanted for a serial number (I used my builder number) and they typed it in for me.

I would write in the model and serial number you plan on putting on the 8050-1 & 8050-88 and call it a day.

Last edited:
It's been a few years since I did the paperwork on a homebuilt so things might have changed. I don't understand why you need a BoS from Van's unless you bought a completed airplane. A kit is just parts not an airplane and an invoice should be sufficient and of no concern to the FAA on an Ex /AB. As Mel said, you're the manufacturer and you can call it whatever you want and use whatever serial no. Can someone say why we need a BoS on parts to register a homebuilt?

Last edited:
The FAA requires a BoS to register a plane built from a kit but not for a plane built from plans. It might have been different in the past, but that's the way it is today. As to why a kit and not plans only I haven't a clue.

Last edited:
Here's some food for thought regarding this topic and the tax man. Like Mel says, you can put whatever you want in the model box and you are the manufacturer. Why put, RV-7, RV-8, etc and give the tax man the advantage of comparing your aircraft value to other RV-7, RV-8 etc? Call it a ZT-7 or a 180-TD and tell them what the number value is to be taxed on. Save yourself some hard earned cash and buy more avgas with your savings. Surely I can't be the only one that was thought about this. Anyone?

When I did my BOS, I called the Registry Office and they walked me through it, line by line. They wanted my name as the manufacturer, the model number and your builder number as the serial number on the BOS; didn't care about the cost. They said they needed that info that way for tracking accidents by make and model. No more J-Bird or AF1 to avoid potential state taxes or whatever. Just another point of data on the information highway, Dan.

Last edited:
Here's some food for thought regarding this topic and the tax man. Like Mel says, you can put whatever you want in the model box and you are the manufacturer. Why put, RV-7, RV-8, etc and give the tax man the advantage of comparing your aircraft value to other RV-7, RV-8 etc? Call it a ZT-7 or a 180-TD and tell them what the number value is to be taxed on. Save yourself some hard earned cash and buy more avgas with your savings. Surely I can't be the only one that was thought about this. Anyone?

Having built, registered and paid property taxes on 3 homebuilts this is advice worth considering :D There are hundreds of LongEZ's and Variezes on the tax roles as Runabouts, Tornados, nose draggers, etc.

Tracking

For Kits, the FAA just needs to be able to track the sale all the way back to the manufacturer. It is simple enough to just put the kit SN# on the BOS (there would not have been an N-Number assigned at the time of the kit sale) and strike the word "aircraft" and add "kit" as someone noted Van's already does.

Vic

Taxes are very locality dependant, but my advice is don't wait for the taxman to assess the value of the plane regardless of what you call it. If you can, bite the bullet and just go ahead and pay the tax on the cost you paid for the kits and major components (ie engine, avionics, etc). That's what I did on my RV-10 because the assessed value on the completed plane would probably have been at least twice the total cost of the parts that I actually paid taxes on. YMMV....