Waco01

Aircraft Bill Of Sale (Form8050-2). Does this form require notarization in order for the FAA to accept it ?

Val K.
RV-8
N81VK

No, but make sure it is pristine and absolutely no mistakes on it or they will send it back to you.

Also make sure that if you are sending them a printed, scanned copy (PDF you filled out with your signature scanned) that you actually sign the bill of sale physically, in INK. Ask me how I know ;)

Last edited:
The only form that cannot have edits or corrections is the application for registration. The bill of sale itself can have white-out, strike-throughs, etc and they will accept it. Keep in mind, if you use the computer generated pdf version of the bill of sale, it must be signed in blue ink so they know it is an original signature, not a photocopy.

Bill of Sale

When I requested the kit Bill of Sale from Vans I received a license agreement that I had to have notarized to get the Bill of Sale. Just FYI.

The BoS I got from Van's had the word "Aircraft" marked through and the word "Kit" stamped next to it :).

Surprising after all these years, they haven't updated the form accordingly.

Well, maybe not.

Sent in my 8050-1 and Van's 8050-2 BoS at the end of January and got a letter back from the FAA AC Registration Branch wanting a 8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership, which did have to be notarized. I did not really get a good explanation about why the 8050-1 and 8050-2 were not adequate documentation to prove ownership.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

Sent in my 8050-1 and Van's 8050-2 BoS at the end of January and got a letter back from the FAA AC Registration Branch wanting a 8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership, which did have to be notarized. I did not really get a good explanation about why the 8050-1 and 8050-2 were not adequate documentation to prove ownership.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

Because it's the government, and paperwork is the name of the game?

Seriously, though...all 3 are required, and a quick check of either the FAA site or EAA's information would have shown that.

8050-1 is the registration
8050-2 is the BoS
8050-88 is the affidavit of ownership

3 different items, all required, per the regulations.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

I just found about the same thing. Mailed the other two documents, and got a letter from FAA asking for something showing ownership. I guess there are other documents to show that, but the FAA letter says form 8050-88 can be used for this purpose. I have 8050-88 notarized.