rv4bill

Well Known Member
Ok Guys, spring break is here and me and my Wife are taking our first trip across the country together. We've been married 15 years and are finally able to get 8 days together without the kids. We kinda know where we want to go(Orlando to Southern rim of Grand Canyon) but have no set plans. The big dilemma, which plane to take? The rv-4 to get us to each place quickly with little luggage or the Bearhawk which is much slower but can carry more. I have about 350 hours in the 4 and only 25 in the Bearhawk. The thought was to leave Orlando on Friday and fly to friend's house in Fairhope Alabama. Maybe stop somewhere in between for potty break. Then from Fairhope Saturday morning start heading West. Have no absolutes on where to go so any suggestions would be nice. We want to go 350 to 400 miles per day and see anything cool along the way. I love grass strips but pavement is OK. We want to see Carlsbad caverns along the way and then make our way to Phoenix where we have some family.

The one thing we are going to do is video the trip with an HD camera and upload on You-tube each leg if possible or at night so our kids and family can follow along. The camera records intercom and radio audio also so you guys can critique all my radio dialogue.

Any Suggestions????:)

Bill Whidden
rv-4
bearhawk

Lake Powell and Monument Valley are on the way to the Grand Canyon. And Sedona, Arizona is between the Grand Canyon & Phoenix. These are well worth it scenic sights! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I vote Fast And Light!

If time was not an issue, my vote would be Low, Slow, and Lazy.

You can always throttle back the -4.

My two cents:

If you are far enough north, I second Larry's locations. Also plan to fly over/near Chaco Canyon in NW NM and/or Canyon de Chelly in NE AZ. If you're going straight west from Carlsbad, note that you cannot go through White Sands Missle Range (ask me how I know!) so plan your route around that.

Necessary to get the Grand Canyon special flight rules map if you are going to fly over/around the GC.

Given your time constraints (8 days), I think you will be better off with the RV than the Bearhawk. Faster, cheaper and you can carry plenty of stuff in the RV unless you have a penchant for picking up large souvenirs.

greg

More places to visit.

Check out Kartchner Caverns in S. AZ. I found it to be AMAZING!

Contact the Park: (520) 586-2283 Reservation Line (520) 586-4100
Information Line
Kartchner Caverns SP P.O. Box 1849 Benson, AZ 85602

Check out Kartchner Caverns in S. AZ. I found it to be AMAZING!

This is one of the places we talked about? How does it compare to Carlsbad caverns?

On the subject of which plane to fly. I forgot to mention that we have 8 days of just going out west. My wife is flying Smokey's airline back and I'm bringing home the plane alone. This should give us more time to enjoy the trip.

spring break trip

It's been settled, she says she wants more room on this trip. The Bearhawk is being loaded Friday morning. We are staying in Alabama first night, then need suggestions Texas area for second night?? Somewhere around Dallas.
Anything off the beaten path will work.

thanks
bill rv-4
bearhawk

First Day -- Orlando to Lake Wales

This is our first video using the A/V-ator HD High Def Video Camera with cockpit audio.

Took off from Orlando for Lake Wales -- landing on our grass strip.

As a special surprise -- Julia had her first Turkey Hunt (other than her annual trip to Publix) -- she bagged a 17 pound gobbler on our property in Lake Wales using a 3in Magnum shotgun. She now feels like a pilgrim -- hunting and gathering for the family (She doesn't need me anymore). She was a little surprised by the kick of the shotgun (no bruise!)

This is our first video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5adkYxu1k

Julia's First Turkey
UbFkctA9ll0sBkLp1dH89A

Day Two -- Lake Wales to Fairhope coming soon ...

lake wales to cedar key

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwXhsNE7U9o

We will continue to trickle post as we upload them. It's our first time taking videos and uploading them so please bear with us. And if we are really boring anyone with our trip please wait till its over to tell us.

We are in Fairhope Alabama now and are leaving around 1:00 today for Houston area. We have a free room night downtown so any suggestions on the easiest and best place to land would help.

Until later
Bill and Julia
Rv-4
Bearhawk

Carlsbad v Kartchner

In very general terms I would say the most noticable difference in Carlsbad Cavern and Kartchner is size. Carlsbad is just immense. Ceiling heights are measured in hundreds of feet and room areas are many acres. Kartchner is a more densely decorated cave and is very beautiful.

I find the tight restrictions in Kartchner to be a bit nettling. For instance no photography is allowed whereas there are basically no restrictions on photography inside Carlsbad Cavern.

Both places are jewels!

Previous Kartchner thread.

Bill if you need a ride or tour at Carlsbad please PM me.

Westward

Monday morning....

Leaving West Houston Airport and heading for Carlsbad. We are meeting up with Larry Pardue this afternoon. So far trip has been great. More videos to follow after Carlsbad:)