Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am building an RV8 and in looking through the forums I haven't found any information on whether anyone has installed a larger tailwheel than the standard size...I am considering an ABI 3200 by Alaska Bushwheels as shown at www.akbushwheel.com...does anyone have any experience with the larger assembly?

I think the major problem, besides large and heavy, is that it mounts to a flat spring, not the tubular spring that RV's use. I had a Scott 3200 on my Cessna 170. It's a good unit, but in my opinion it' overkill for an RV.

Greg Illes had this on his RV
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36848&highlight=monster+tailwheel

IIRC, we ended up with a similar, but smaller tailwheel fork and tire.

It seems like the hardest part of switching to a larger tailwheel tire is finding a suitable tire, not too heavy, not too expensive, reliable, etc.

We can make a larger fork to handle the larger tire. That's the easy part. I've got templates already made and can tweak them to fit the tire.

All of these are designed to use the standard Van's spring. Greg Illes did quite a bit of "engineering" to prove that the loads are more than acceptable.

Greg, chime in here with comments please.

Thanks for the input...I am still a ways away from having to deal with the tailwheel at this point. Here in Alaska we always tend to up size the tires on any airplane for off-road use...habit I guess...

I think the major problem, besides large and heavy, is that it mounts to a flat spring, not the tubular spring that RV's use. I had a Scott 3200 on my Cessna 170. It's a good unit, but in my opinion it' overkill for an RV.

The RV8 has about the same gross weight as a Super Cub, on which the Scott 3200 is standard fit, and the Super Cub is landing a lot slower than an RV8. In my experience the tailwheel is always in the mud/sand up to its rim (or axle!), while the mains just sit up on top. So, I can't see how the Scott 3200 (or AKBushwheel equivalent) would be overkill. The rollerskate wheels usually fitted seem to me to be inadequate for the job, indeed a local RV8 builder reports that Vans recommends wheelers to preserve the tailwheel (that's what this guy wrote).

You could use a Scott/AK Bushwheels 3400 which has the stinger bracket (like a C180) to go on the RV8. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/abi4000tailwheel.php

Burke, what were you thinking of doing with the mains?

Cheers,
Andrew.

I have been giving that some thought as well and thinking of going to a 7.00 size tire and building some larger wheel pants. I have owned several aircraft in Alaska and found that I have never been sitting on the ground wishing I had smaller tires. My 172 had 8.50 mains and a 7.00 nose wheel. I have 8.50 mains on my Citabria in the winter with the Scott 3200 and I am thinking about upsizing them as well. I have to time to tinker however since my Fuselage kit just arrived today...the round verse flat connection is easy to deal with in any case but I don't want it to get to heavy either...

I have built a fork to fit the soft solid rubber Maule tail wheel and it also fits Van's and Rocket tail wheel swivels. I can build more as needed.

I also have hardened (heat treated) locking pins for the tail wheel.

Jim 317-718-3415

Jim,
Sorry for not responding earlier but I was working on the remote cabin for a few days and got jammed up with work when I got back to town. I am interested in your tail wheel fork...would you have a picture on one on an RV? I an just unpacking my fuselage from the crate and won't be tire ready for while yet...

I have been flying with a tailwheel fork from Matco and there 7 inch pnumatic tire and wheel, a direct replacement. I didnt do anything other than taxi with the stocker, I have had no issues with this set up and it is quiter over rough pavement.