still learning how to post. I took the EAA sheet metal class a few weeks ago and bought the van's practice project and tool box. I am in the process of buying tools and decided to get a Sioux 6000 rpm drill, but not sure what 3X rivet gun. I know Sioux make one, but not sure if its worth the money. also wanted to know how to post on the bottom of my messages that Dues Paid and my name, etc. thanks

also wanted to know how to post on the bottom of my messages that Dues Paid and my name, etc. thanks

Upper left corner, about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the screen is a blue bar with various drop down menus in it. Look for the one labeled "User CP" click, and select "Edit Signature".

Also, check out the "FAQ" in the menu bar also.

And, if I havent already said so, Welcome to VAF:D

Big D, did you use the 3x in class? If not you might want to try one out first. Personally I found the 3X too powerful for my hand to hold steady when I was both bucker and driver. I gave my 3X to my brother for his project and went to a 2X instead. Just something to consider. BTW I used a Taylor brand rivet gun and it worked fine.

Chris

Not to be confused with

BigD the RV-10 builder. First time I've run across that nickname besides me...maybe I don't get out enough. Welcome! I have a 2x and 3x (only the 2x is Sioux) and find the smaller one works better for -3 rivets, 3x for the -4s. Part of that is getting the air pressure right, and the smaller gun tends to take a few more hits to set the bigger rivets, giving more opportunities to put a smile on it or harden it.

==dave==

Thanks Guys

Thanks Mike. Chris, I used a 3x in the EAA class and found it was easy enough to use. I appreciate all the offers for help when I will need it. And finally, Big D, my friends since grade school have called me Big D.

Welcome, BigD! I'm in the early stages of learning how to rivet as well. I've got the ATS 3X gun. For flush rivets, do a lot of you prefer the rubber guard around the set? I get a lot of chatter over the skin, but it's possible that I've got the pressure too high. Taping the set is awesome?very clean results this way.

Also, anyone have a good close-up of a properly set shop head of a 3/32" flush rivet? I'm really happy with the results of the 1/8" rivets so far, but I'd like to see the right way to do the smaller rivets.

Make a simple gauge

Doug, drill a 9/64th hole in a piece of scrap to check the diameter (+50%)

and a notch can be cut on the other end to check height.

Best,