ghatch

I have read the posts and am planning on installing 380 x150 x 5 tires on my RV7. I would like to have confirmation from those that have done it that the same tubes and rims from standard 5 x 5 wheels/tires can be used and that installing wheel pants (for the first time) would not be much different than installing on standard wheels/tires. Any advice is also welcome.
Thanks,

Gerry Hatch

Share 500-5 to 600-5 tire upgrade experience.

Please share any experience when upgrading from 500-5 to the 380 x150 x 5 (15/600-5). What changes to the wheel, brakes, wheel pants were required to make the larger tire funtion properly? We know that new installations of the larger tires works well with Vans pressure recovery wheel pants. How much work was it to change a flying RV over to the larger tires?

Gerry...

As someone who used the 380 x150 x 5 from the outset... ;)

The wheels and brakes are unchanged in installation... The Van's inner tubes can be used, but they are poor quality and leak, and having upgraded to Michelin Airstop, I can only advise anyone else to do so from the outset :)

The Wheel Pants just end up 0.5" higher... It makes no difference to the instructions to fitting the wheel pants, since the starting point is 1" clearance from the tyre. You may find you need to fit a "fairing" i.e. cut a small hole in the wheel pant to get good clearance from the brakes (we did).

You end up with significantly greater clearance between wheel pant and ground since:
  1. The wheel pant is 0.5" higher (+0.5")
  2. The tyre sticks out 0.5" more (+1.0")
  3. Where the tyre exits from the wheel pant, due above it is longer and wider (since they are fatter tyres), hence you cut a good deal more wheel pant away (maybe another 1"-2".. total +~3"?)
Overall, for operation off grass, especially bumpy grass, it seems ideal...

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

Thanks guys for your responces. Andy, did you use the same size as original Vans tubes when you switched to Michelins?

Thanks,
Gerry