redhawk

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone out there has put "big" low pressure type tires on a 4 or 8 ? (Like a 26" Bushwheel on 6" rims)

21 x 8 on 6" rims. Not quite the 26" you speak of.

IMG_5138_zpstoar6ucw.jpg

There is a guy just south of Grand Junction on a private air strip that did a modification to his nose wheel. I spoke with him several times and he was very nice and willing to help others. He milled a new wheel bracket that increased the size of the tire by about 2" at least. I can't remember his name but he had a great web site showing all the work he did. I did a quick search now and couldn't find it.

Maybe someone here can remember who it is.

Edit: I found the site. http://mesawood.info/myrv7a/n67bt.htm

Bob did much more than just adding a larger tire but it is very interesting to look at his work. He is quite a craftsman.

Last edited:
Gary,
Can you share the tire and tube name?
Do you have any vibrations in the wheel assembly on take-off or landing?
Do you have gear leg stiffeners?

I have the 6" Matco wheel assemblies for RV but the wheels are drilled for the TR-87 90deg tubes. The problem is that the new tundra 8:50-6 4ply tires by Dresser requires the 8:50-6 tubes which are only made with a TR-20 straight valve stem and will not work with the Matco wheels. The largest TR-87 tube I could find is an 8:00-6 so that is the size I'm going with. Now I need to find a tire in 8:00-6. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!

21 x 8 on 6" rims. Not quite the 26" you speak of.

IMG_5138_zpstoar6ucw.jpg

Here you go:

http://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/21800-6-4-PLY.asp

http://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/TU-700800-6-AL.asp

I do have a slight vibration on takeoff due to slight imbalance. It only last a few seconds if I let the tires spin down on their own after takeoff. It is just barely noticeable so I don't think much of it. I might tap the brakes to stop the rotation and all is good.

I do have gear leg stiffeners. Helicopter tape on the flaps. 12lbs of air works nicely. Lands like a big pillow. Slightly higher step up to get on the wing walk. Better prop clearance. Cost me 11 MPH. I can convert back to 5.00-5 and wheel pants in about 4 hours. My conversion has endeared me to no one. Cub guys know that I am not a Cub and RV guys just think I slowed the thing down. I have had a blast going to lots of back country strips in this config.

All my parts are Cleveland 6" components. I use an 1 1/2" axles as a sleeve over the 1 1/4" axles to provide fitment for the 6" Cleveland parts. Don't know much about Matco stuff. HTH.

Yes.

I have looked at various options but so far haven't come up with a solution that I like. Either too heavy, cumbersome, or involve a lot of fabricating. Bigger tires an hubs get heavy fast. However a bigger tailwheel would be something that I would be interested in.

Yes.

I have looked at various options but so far haven't come up with a solution that I like. Either too heavy, cumbersome, or involve a lot of fabricating. Bigger tires an hubs get heavy fast. However a bigger tailwheel would be something that I would be interested in.

The great thing about experimental....experiment and keep us updated!

Thanks Daddy man.

I was inspired by this quote right off of Van's website:

"Others have used their RV-4s for sport of a different kind, flying regularly into backcountry strips for fishing and recreation. More than one SuperCub pilot has been startled to land at an out-of-the-way mountain strip and find an RV-4 already there."