snoop9erdog

Well Known Member
I was in Atlanta for two weeks on business and looked up Bruce Sacks and father and Son Team Jeff and Dennis Rhodes. Fantastic and interesting people to say the least. I shamelessly contacted them and asked to look at their 9 taildraggers....and they offered to take me for a spin. This did wonders for my renewed motivation. I needed it.

First, I drove down to Perry, GA and Bruce took me for a ride in his 9. Beautiful plane, and it reinforced my decision to equip as a taildragger.

Next, Jeff kindly provided me with directions to drive NW to Taylorsville, GA where I came upon his beautiful 1800' airstrip/ home property. I never realized how beatiful GA is until I drove out into the countryside. Dennis built his fabulous 9 and son Jeff gave me a ride. Sorry, no photos, but i wish I had taken them.

Both of the 9's flying characteristics were superb, especially the low flying side of the spectrum. What I noticed about both flights was how critical it is to nail the final approach indicated airspeed. Both Bruce and Jeff came in at 60-70 indicated, and both 9's were stopped at approx 1000-1200 ft (first turnoff @ Perry and still 500-600 ft left on the rhode turf strip). Freakin awesome. This helped to minimize the float on the nine...it really does not want to stop flying with the roncz wing airfoil. I was pleaseantly surprised at how docile and simple the taildragger handling was.

Ok enough of me babbling on...need to get out in the shop and start cranking it out in hopes of having a 9 similar to the Sacks and Rhodes.

Again, to Bruce and Jeff/Dennis, a big thank you! :)

I'm always happy to be an ambassador for the RV9. You're making the right decision to go with the TD. :)
Hope to see you again - out west.