cjensen

Well Known Member
Specifically the RV-8(A)...As published from the Aero News Network this morning-

Van's RV-8 QB
We're not prepared to just come out and say that Dick Van Grunsven can do no wrong... but darn it if Dick Van Grunsven can do no wrong... this two place tandem hot-rod is an excellent STOL flyer, pretty much a rocket-ship in cruise (200 mph or so), as mild-mannered as they come in slow-flight but with a rowdy soul if ya gotta get acrobatic for a while. It rocks, it rolls... it makes julien fries... NOT-- but what a hot-sh*t little airplane, we kid you not.

The RV-8 accepts mills in the 150-220 HP regime, but gives you back 680-733 pounds of useful load. This results in cruise speeds of 195-210 mph, takeoff distances of as little as 250-300 feet (solo), landing distances of 350-500' (solo/gross), rates of climb from 2000-2700 fpm, and 940-103 sm range (55%/8000'). Those are numbers ya gotta like -- and hundreds of customers have voted so with their pocketbook.

Sleek, pretty and incredibly functional, the RV-8 is one of Dick's best designs... though we beg all those who are interested in the bird to stick to the taildragger persuasion... as God himself intended, because a bird this cool and this rough and ready, simply looks at a nosewheel as an insult (grin). Still, if you want trike gear, the RV-8A trike gear version just might be your ticket -- but mark our words... God WILL get you for this blasphemy.

The kits are exceptionally well-done (especially the quick-build versions), customer support is well-executed, and the camaraderie of OVER 4000 other RV builders is a benefit that can NOT possibly be overvalued. Highly recommended, this is about as low-risk a selection as there is in the sport aviation biz.

Nice

Hi Chad,

Always nice to read good things about the project you've chosen. I need all the inspiration I can get at the moment: I've completely finished my wings and have until at least mid-March until my fuse kit arrives :-(

Agreed!

I totally agree, it is nice to hear such positive commentary. I especially like the nosegear remarks! ;)

I have been on hold waiting for my wings and some elevator trim (redux) parts. Wings should be here this week!!! :D

Low Pass said:
"God WILL get you for this blasphemy." Excellent!!!

Must be insecure and needs to prove something. Have flown many BIG tail draggers, and so God said "Why don't you improve your visibility and lower your insurance rates?" My Rv8-A is tougher than yours, flies upside down better than yours, and can #&*# on fire hydrants higher than yours. :p

JB

Last edited by a moderator:
oh noooooo

Losing all my machismo was bad enough, not to mention all the grief my -6, -7 and -8 friends contunue to give me. Now I will be out of favor with the big guy. Maybe I should sell my 8A project and stick with the -6......

(don't think so ;) )