db8

Well Known Member
Am finishing up the metal work on the RV-8. I have dry fitted gear, wings and empennage. Am curious what the best sequence to follow is? Here are my thoughts, and please feel free to give a better sequence or thoughts on why it might be better to do something else. This is just a "big picture" sequence.

1) Next, finish the wing tips and running all the wiring to "finish them up." Run nav/stobe lights, pitot tube tubing and wiring, nav cable wire and leave plenty extra length for all so don't have to cut & splice when mate up to fuse.

2) Finish empenage tips and emp fairining (don't want to do all fiberglass work at the end)

3) Cut out all main instrument panel & side panel holes.

4) Now paint the interior.

5) Permanently mount the gear.

6) Mount the engine & run main cables and wires.

7) Run electrical wires in cockpit & close up upper instrument topskin.

8) Mount canopy, skirt, etc.

9) Plenum and engine cowl.

10) Gear fairings and wheel pants.

Thanks. Dave

Hi Dave,

What I found worked well for me was not to think of an entire sequence, but rather to think in terms of critical paths - what HAD to be done in order for something else to proceed. For instance, you need to mount the engine before doing the cowl. Then are the many, many things that can be done anytime - wiring the starter, or hooking up the engine ground. And while anyone could sit down and build a critical path list that would work for most RV's, there is significant value to the builder to do it himself because it helps to get through the process.

Now my own theory - what works for me - is to have a good idea of the critical paths, and then do everything else simultaneously! By that, I mean that I have lots and lots of small projects (building an airplane is nothing but a bunch of small projects) that I can do anytime. When I get stuck, or frustrated on something, I go on to something else. No wasted nights in the shop that way - I don't ever feel like I HAVE to get a particular thing done. Start wiring, start the panel, start the plumbing, and then do them in rotation with the canopy, the fiberglass, etc. Remember, nothing flies until it all flies!

Well, you asked for ideas and alternatives.....;)

Paul