Skywagon

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,

First post here...but I've been lurking for a while.

Gotta quick question; I'm of course aware of the F1's and Harmon rockets, but is anyone here putting a big motor on an RV8? I'm sure people have done it with a 540 but I'm thinking a little more outside the box.

I'm contemplating building an 8 with something like a carburated continental 550 or 520 with a hartzell Bucaneer prop. Has it been done? Is it impossible? Most of my experience is with the Big Continentals and I like how smooth they are and the torque they produce.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can give.

Bill

Last edited:
Maybe you saw this:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9570
There are some other threads on -8 engines but none specifically about the continentals.

The main issue with a big engine on the -8 is the tendency towards being nose heavy anyway - this is obviously exacerbated by a heavy engine.
I don't know about the continentals, but i assume a 6 cyl conti is pretty heavy. That plus a metal CS prop will be pretty hefty. Additionally, you will be on your own for cowling, baffling, FWF, etc.

There are lots of Super -8s flying (IO-540 lycoming) - John Marshall here in Indy is one of the guys that started them out. Kahuna (here on the boards) flies one.

I have a guy next to me with a continental off a bonanza. I THINK its a 520 but I would not swear to it. Its pretty much a butcher job installation on an rv-8. The builder took the whole front end off the bonanza, cowl and all, and stuck it on an 8. Its god awefully butt ugly. It also does not preform well at all. He has tried different props and still cant get any more out of it than a 180hp rv. I hate to even mention it since its such a poor installation but its one data point for you if there are no others. I cant think of any 550's in an 8 that Im aware of.

Best

Vans RV8 aircraft is structurally designed to use up to a 200 hp engine. Van has said over and over that he definitely does not recommend the use of a larger engine.

I you want more speed and performance, look into the Rocket. It has the beefed up structure and higher Vne to handle the 540

Jim Kinsey
7A wings

Skywagon

Sir:
I saw with interest your recent post regarding big motors in RV-8's. I am presently building one myself, and I plan on installing a parallel-valve Lycoming of some type. Mostly looking for the combination of speed and economy afforded by the RV. I also own a 1955 Cessna 180. It has a P-Ponk conversion that has made a wonderfully-performing aircraft out of an already awesome bird, which operates regularly in and out of a 900' airstrip at 5500 ft. MSL at my ranch in the Mexican Northern Sierra Madre. I would like to exchange further info. if you desire.

Tom Navar
RV-8 QB
tailfeathers finished..working on wings

Kahuna said:
I have a guy next to me with a continental off a bonanza. I THINK its a 520 but I would not swear to it. Its pretty much a butcher job installation on an rv-8. The builder took the whole front end off the bonanza, cowl and all, and stuck it on an 8. Its god awefully butt ugly. It also does not preform well at all. He has tried different props and still cant get any more out of it than a 180hp rv. I hate to even mention it since its such a poor installation but its one data point for you if there are no others. I cant think of any 550's in an 8 that Im aware of.

Best

Mike
How about posting a photo of this abortion?? I'd love to see it.
Charlie Kuss

I think this is it. Sorry about the large picture size, it just lets you appreciate the airplane more.
CIM0014.jpg