It does not appear to affect any 0-360 A1A engines, the carby model Van's supplies. I checked and my 0-360 A1A is not affected. All additional engines listed in the Supplement 1 from the original SB 566 do not add significantly to the total number affected. Most engines were in the original SB 566.

In defense of Lycoming: They have admitted when there is a problem and haven't folded up when faced with a recall such as this. Yes, it is a PITA, but I often wonder where the small engine builders will be if ever faced with this.

JMHO

Roberta

I like Lyc

Last edited:
SB now

You're right it is a SB now but may go to an AD. Same affect either way, 50 hours or 6 months.

Darwin

AD for ECi cylinders

Here's an AD I just read about that might touch a few wallets...
Read it in an AOPA email-

FAA ISSUES AD FOR ECi CYLINDERS ON LYCOMING ENGINES
The FAA has issued an airworthiness directive (AD) requiring the replacement of certain ECi "Classic Cast" cylinder assemblies installed on Lycoming 320-, 360-, and 540-series parallel valve engines. "The cylinders are installed on more than 1,500 Lycoming engines in the United States," said Luis Gutierrez, AOPA director of regulatory and certification policy. "ECi has indicated that it might allow a credit for returned cylinders toward the purchase of new ECi cylinder assemblies." The FAA took the action because of the failure of some 30 installed cylinders (P/N AEL65102) that suffered from metal fatigue. The agency is requiring the replacement of affected cylinders within 800 hours of time in service. The FAA estimates that the required parts will cost $1,000 per cylinder assembly. Engine inspection will run about two hours, and actual cylinder replacement will take about 12 hours for a four-cylinder engine and 16 hours for a six-cylinder engine. By the FAA's estimates, replacing all four cylinders on the typical Lycoming 360 would cost about $4,900.

The Lycoming SB only applies to engines produced during a certain time span. My advice is to buy an engine that was built in the 60's or 70's. They had the bugs worked out by then, and the quality was still where it should be. We have a 1969 vintage O-360A1A on our Cardinal that has 1400hr's on the first run, still going strong ;).

ECIs

Just recieve a note from a friend about the barrels on his O360 outfitted with Classic Cast ECI. He's had them for slightly more than 2 years, during that time it had to have new rings at a little over 200 hrs, and the second time at 180. I measured them (bores,pistons and rings), and the wear appeared normal......for an engine with 1800hrs or more, but certainly not less than 400. The bores were belly shaped, and pistons and rings worn. Rings had signs of fluttering which is a results of the barrel wears
ECI is giving him all new complete stud assemblies (Titans) at no cost.
The old barrels showed no metal faults, nor were the heads cracked. The bores were simply worn out, and belly shaped.
T88
RV10