I have a freind that really wants a -4 he's big and tall, what mods can a person do to make him fit ?

How big is big?

How tall is tall?

We would be glad to give you real world advice, but we need to know some numbers.

Last edited:
Big man

My RV-4 has what?s called the ?tall man option?. Long legs are accommodated by working with the front seat location, tilt and roll bar location. Long torsos are accommodated by lowering the seat pan (or thinner seat cushion). For maximum canopy clearance consistent with seat location, the canopy location can be moved forward a couple of inches and or set higher as well. There may be some sacrifice in the rear seating space. We have several very healthy individuals driving RV-4s.

Or, just suggest an RV-8.

Good luck

Several factors:

-------pilot-------
Sitting height
Inseam
shoulder width
Beer gut
ability to acclimate to the space
Big butt will usually work but that's usually a gal thing, Big butt will leave the back seater with no place to put his/her feet.

-------RV4----------
seat position, determined during the build
canopy, on the -4 they all end up with different heights also determined during the build
seat cushions or lack of them

Too many variables unless he is obviously too big (6'7" 325# for example) not going to happen.

If he is thinking of buying a flying -4 a "try it on for size" for that build is very helpful.

RV8

Tell your friend he needs to sit in an RV8. So much more room for a tall person.

I was ready to do a 4 when a friend of mine said I had to at least sit in an 8.
I'm 6'3" and around 200 lbs. I sat in an 8 and I was sold. He will wear the 4 and be comfortable in the 8.

Try Todd's Canopies

I haven't done any scientific testing on this, but my canopy from Todd's Canopies appears to be 1-2" higher than the stocks Vans canopy. A buddy of mine who has a four at the same airfield agrees.

Worst case, I'm sure the canopy could be re-done to have a new bubble in it if he's willing to do the work . . .

Rocket

Isn?t it about time the Rocket guys chimed in about now, describing how much roomier the Rocket is than either the RV4 or RV8, followed by a complete run down on how much superior a Rocket is than either?

Seriously though, wouldn?t a Rocket provide the requisite room? And I can?t see why a Rocket couldn?t be ?RV4-ised?, i.e. with 4 cylinder engine and RV-4 length wings. Even for more normal sized guys, the RV4 really is on the tight side and rear seat rudder pedals are a problem.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Not a bad idea . . .

if you want to pay about $40-$60 K more!:rolleyes:

Seriously though, it seems as if the Rockets are in a totally different price class.

Rick