I can't say too much, but we (a Korean automaker) have been working with Lycoming for quite a while now on a Korean made flat 4, 6, and 8. You will be a little shocked when you find out what LSA it will test flown in. That's about all I can say until after Friday.

Looks like it may get delayed a little while, I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Cam,
Can you say if it will at least be on par with the news Honda announced three years ago concerning its piston aviation engine? Hint's please!!

I'm not sure. I've been checking aero-news.net all day, they're the ones that ran that story on Tuesday.....also been checking Lycoming's website, but nothing......hmmmmm.

There was a rumble here on the forums a short time ago that Lycoming would be introducing a diesel. I've heard that before though. I was hoping it was true this time. But then, I'm gullible.

Lyc engine

Lycoming had a diesel engine on desplay at Oshkosh. Looked very good, I believe they said it was 180 HP. Still working on it.
Dimound aircraft has a diesel Twin Star on the market. 1.7L putting out 137hp each. Very good looking plane.

The announcement was not about a diesel (I don't think)

Go back and read the original article on the first post of this thread. The diesel was mentioned in that article, as was Thunderbolt engines, as was Lycomings new FADEC. It then mentioned that "big" news would be announced today. So I don't think it had anything to do with a diesel.

Yeah, and I heard that that 180hp six diesel weighed in at a HEFTY 440lbs!! :eek: 'Course it's developmental so...

Folks-
The Textron website had a news release stating a partnership between
Lycoming and the Lindbergh foundation. Passing out Grants equal to the original price of the Spirit of St. Louis.
Was this the "big" announcement?
Take care,
Howie

Lordy I hope not, but I talked to my Lycoming source today, and that was the only thing he had heard of recently.

I hope NOT too. That would really blow. Kinda like a couple of years ago getting all excited about the Honda piston aero engine and then............nothing.

UPDATE

Just talked to Lycoming's PR person and confirmed that last Friday's "Big" news was indeed the Lindbergh Foundation Partnership. She admitted that the Aero-news.net article was a bit misleading. Oh well, maybe next year. At least they are working on new technology including diesel, fadec, etc.

Not really, my source tells me that textron corporate still hasn't given the go-ahead for diesel devlopment, although news that they are developing a new line of engines is very welcome. I wouldn't be surprised to see the first one to be installed in the new Cessna LSA, as I can't believe that cessna would really use a Rotax motor for one of their airplanes.