painless

Well Known Member
I have a bit of a delima here and need some guidance from the experts.

Unfortunately, I let my currency lapse due to my thinking I was due for my BFR in May. Turns out it was April. So according to the FAA, I am not legal to fly.

None of the CFI's in my area have any time in an RV. It is my understanding that this would not have been a problem while I was still current to do the BFR in my RV, as I would have been designated as PIC.

Now that I am not current, the CFI would have to assume the role of PIC.

Is it possible for a CFI to do a BFR in an airplane he is not checked out in and be PIC?

My option is to get my BFR in a C150 or C172, but I would like to do it in my RV. Compounding the problem doing it in something other than my RV is that there are no rental airplanes at my airport. My CFI has a 150, but it is out of annual as well, and he is dragging his feet getting that done.

Can you say frustration???? :(

Nope!

Is it possible for a CFI to do a BFR in an airplane he is not checked out in and be PIC?
Someone in the airplane must be qualified as PIC. If you are not qualified, you are a passenger. To carry a passenger, the CFI must have 3 TO & landings in last 90 days in make & model.

To carry a passenger, the CFI must have 3 TO & landings in last 90 days in make & model.

Mel,

Far be it from me to question my elders, but maybe I missed a FAR update.....I didn't think there was a "Make and Model" requirements for PIC currency....Taildragger for Taildragger, yes....but make and model? I'll admit that is new to me! (I never worry about it - haven't lost my "90 day" currency in 30+ years of flying....)

paul

Mel,

Far be it from me to question my elders, but maybe I missed a FAR update.....I didn't think there was a "Make and Model" requirements for PIC currency....Taildragger for Taildragger, yes....but make and model? I'll admit that is new to me! (I never worry about it - haven't lost my "90 day" currency in 30+ years of flying....)

paul

FAR 61.58 says it is category, class (and type if a type rating is required). In this case category means airplane and class means single engine. If the CFI is landing current in an airplane, single engine, he should be able to assume PIC status for the BFR - except if it is a tail dragger, the landings have to be in a tail dragger.

There is another issue - insurance. If the BFR is over due, the owner is not legal to fly and probably not insured. The CFI may have to be added to the policy for the ride.

Jeff, if you could get Don or somebody to fly you down here (well inside RV range) in your plane we could get you hooked up with an RV-qualified CFI.

You kind of owe us a visit anyway, now that your plane has been flying a while ;-)

Yup, the instructor will be pilot in command, but all he has to be is current in
Airplane / single engine land.

I personally feel that it is in an RV pilots best interest to use an instructor that has experience in RV's, when possible. There is always much more to learn from other experienced RV pilots. On the other hand this would be a great opportunity to initiate an instructor into RV style flying for fun.

Same issue here - and solved....

I just had this problem in my Tiger due to a failed starter and planning a BFR too close to the end of the month....:eek:

My local instructor has lots of hours (ATP, 22,000 hrs. and 7,000 instructing) but only about 2 hours in 4-place Grummans - giving me previous BFRs.

My Tiger policy also requires 5 hrs. in a 4-place Grumman for PIC coverage.

A quick call to my insurance broker fixed the problem. They just put him on as a "named pilot" for the purposes of a BFR. No cost to me. Solved the problem.

Try calling your insurance broker for a "named pilot for BFR" addition.

gil A

PS... I didn't actually use it since a neighbor gave me a BFR in his Cessna P-210 instead....:) - it's nice being fast, but I like the light controls of my Tiger....:)

Last edited:
You guys are right....

Sorry about that! Obviously my concentration is on the "aircraft" side of the fence and not so much the "pilot" side. Guess I should stay where my knowledge is.

Jeff, if you could get Don or somebody to fly you down here (well inside RV range) in your plane we could get you hooked up with an RV-qualified CFI.

You kind of owe us a visit anyway, now that your plane has been flying a while ;-)

Yes James, I do need to get down there sometime. Work and kids tend to take up a chunk of my time though.

I think what I will do is find a C172 somewhere to rent and get the BFR done in that. Maybe I can take you up on that CFI next time around. I do agree that it would benefit me more to do my BFR in my plane with a CFI that has RV time.