Yep, I fell into that sucker hole as well. You are not the first or the last to make that mistake....build on, your wings are looking nice.
Bruce

This is a warning for those who are building the wings.
See my posting at:
http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/2011/01/beware-sucker-wing-ribs-flanges.html
There is a picture that illustrates better than in writing.
Happy building! :cool:

I think this may have happened on one of my rivets in my Stabilator.
The steel pull nail was sticking out after I pulled the rivet, this could be an indicator.

I looking for a good snake camera to look in side of the Stabilator

Thanks

steel nail sticking out after a pull

I don't think the steel nail sticking out after a pull is necessarily an indicator that the pulled rivet did not 'set' properly. It merely indicates that it snapped off at the wrong place. I know from previous VAF posts that many of us that have finished -12's encountered a few of these. In my case, I had none when I built the wings but after receiving a second shipment of rivets (early kits were short about 2500 rivets), I had several of these when I built the tailcone. In all cases, the rivet looked fine on the backside. I typically just cut them with sidesnips and ground the nail flush with the rivet head.

Jeff

Bad move on my part

I don't think the steel nail sticking out after a pull is necessarily an indicator that the pulled rivet did not 'set' properly. It merely indicates that it snapped off at the wrong place. I know from previous VAF posts that many of us that have finished -12's encountered a few of these. In my case, I had none when I built the wings but after receiving a second shipment of rivets (early kits were short about 2500 rivets), I had several of these when I built the tailcone. In all cases, the rivet looked fine on the backside. I typically just cut them with sidesnips and ground the nail flush with the rivet head.

Jeff

Jeff

I don't think the steel nail sticking out after a pull is necessarily an indicator that the pulled rivet did not 'set' properly. But it could be.

This alone would not mean that the rivet was not set properly; I had a hard time getting the rivet in and had to push harder to get it to sit flush.

I should Have Stopped and removed the rivet.
Bad move on my part

I don’t think it went through the front tab of a nose rib. I will feel better if I can see how it is set.

The nail will make it hard to drill out.

Thanks

Last edited: