pierre smith

Well Known Member
On July 4th we bled the brakes on my buddy's -4 and had difficulty getting pedal. We were using Royco 782 synthetic fluid. The following day he had disconnected and re-routed the plastic brake lines and got a drop or three on his right forearm which was already scratched from sharp tie-wrap ends and so on. By the next day he had a bad rash on that arm and in two days pustules and swelling had started. Then he read the label wherein you're warned to not get any on skin because of the contents and it could lead to dermatitus.(sp)

The swelling got so bad and painful that he went to the emergency room two days ago and was really getting sleep deprived. He developed a staph infection in the flesh on that arm and was admitted to the hospital today. He is under observation because this could get serious.

Neither of us had any idea that this fluid can be so dangerous. If you're using it, wear gloves, be very careful and wash any off immediately.

Pierre

FWIW

Sharp tie-wrap ends can be avoided by always cutting them off with flush cut pliers. I have a pair of Lindstrom 8160 cutters. Expensive, yes; but worth it. Plus no more tie-wrap rash.

Cheap way....

Joel said:
Sharp tie-wrap ends can be avoided by always cutting them off with flush cut pliers. I have a pair of Lindstrom 8160 cutters. Expensive, yes; but worth it. Plus no more tie-wrap rash.

Take a cheap set of dykes over to your belt sander and sand the back side till it is smooth. It will cut a pull tie off soooo smooth that you will think you purchased it from Remmington. :D