jcoloccia

Well Known Member
The plans say to "locally bevel" the counterbalance skins to smooth the transition with the rudder skin. What the heck does that mean? Not sure exactly how much to bevel, how thin to make it, etc.

They want you to just bevel the edges where the CB skins are touching the 903 tip rib and the spar. The CB skin goes under the rudder skin. A little bevel in those locations helps keep the CB skin from creating a hump under the rudder skin. Taper back about 1/2 to 3/4" with a file or belt sander. It needs only to be as wide as the flanges of the rib and spar. It helps tuck the skins in so a ghost does not show through the rudder skin after they are riveted.

Some builders have placed the CB skins on the outside of the rudder skins. I do not know if there are consequences for doing this, but I have heard of rudder counterbalances that came loose. I did it the way the plans show. It looks nice and is still on.

Roberta

John,

Not sure if this helps, and not the best picture, but you can see the discoloration on the counterbalance skin where I beveled it (a little) using the Scotch-Brite wheel. It looks like I did it the for the entire overlapping area, but IIRC you are primarily interested in where the rudder skin makes the jump from the spar to over the CB skin (above the circled #2).

050803_001.jpg

Counter balance skin over or under?

I wonder why Vans has the R901 rudder skin over the top of the thicker R913 counter balance skin?

Beveling the counter balance skin makes less sense than putting the R913 overtop the 901 rudder skin. What am I missing here?

If anyone has rivetted the R913 overtop the R901 skins and is flying will you let me know if you have crashed yet?

Is there any cracking?

Ian
RV7 emp

Last edited:
gh6gh6 said:
I wonder why Vans has the R901 rudder skin over the top of the thicker R913 counter balance skin?

Beveling the counter balance skin makes less sense than putting the R913 overtop the 901 rudder skin. What am I missing here?
If you put the counterbalance skin on top, you will have a larger (longer) edge of thicker material exposed rather than the small edge of the much thinner rudder skin.

IMHO, don't overthink this, beveling the edge takes just minutes, and the rudder skin sits extremely flat. Build it per the plans... just my $.02... YMMV.

Last edited:
I agree with Brad, I would bevel it. I hit it with a vixen file and it took just a few seconds and was done.

Counter balance skin over or under?

thanks for the good advice.
I will stick to the plans.
what does YMMV mean?

Ian
RV7 Emp