RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Doing the final install on my 9a tipup. Have seen lots of builders who hate the vans cheap white stripping. The adhesive is blistered off in about 1/4 of the length of mine, dont want to use it.Thought somebetter products were tossed around here before, i think from Ace hardware if i recall, cant find link. ANYONE have any better weatherstripping ideas to seal up tight and last and stick better than the cheap stuff vans includes? Thanks.

Rick, I got mine at ACE.

I can't remember the brand, but I bought a couple different types, all close cell weather stripping.
1. Round - cut these into about 1 inch pieces and glued them on the back side of the baggage compartment into the groves. When the screws are tightened they squish flat and seal this area.

2. 1/2x3/4 pre-glued on one side. This went under the sides of the canopy.

3. Something a little smaller then the above. I used it to fill in areas that the above didn't quite take care of.

I used the Vans supplied white strip on the front of the canopy area.

I haven't found any problem with air leaks, but I don't fly in the rain very much, so mine might leak.

Kent

Thanks

Mucho appreciated. I will go to Aircraft Depot in the am and try and get some MD brand WS 108 and some other foam strips for the canopy sides and keep plugging away.

Cheers.