jthocker

Well Known Member
This is what happens if you're an absentee owner, and you get behind on your hangar rent! We really prefer to only have RV8's in our hangar anyway.

On the ground floor are Jon Thocker's, Larry Wolf's, and Sam Marlow's recently completed RV8.

Wow! Looks like a very similiar hangar to mine. It appears the front of the aircraft is supported only by the purlins supporting of the roof? My purlins are only formed from about 1/8" stock. I would not hang an aircraft from my structure like that. Hopefully they consulted an engineer before doing so?
Ron

Not too bad, at my airport they drag your aircraft outside and chain the wheel to a tiedown spot. If you don't pay, your airplane rots outside.

Wow! Looks like a very similiar hangar to mine. It appears the front of the aircraft is supported only by the purlins supporting of the roof? My purlins are only formed from about 1/8" stock. I would not hang an aircraft from my structure like that. Hopefully they consulted an engineer before doing so?
Ron

Ron,
Are you saying there is more than "One Design" for that platform? :D

Ron,
Actually, there were 3 engineers that were consulted - Jon, Sam, & Ken. All 3 are engineers (flight engineers - DC-8). The chains are attached where the purlins overlap and are doubled and only about 2 feet from the I-beam. I think it would probably hold all three of those RV-8's (I'm an engineer too). Like they said in DC-8 school 'works fine, lasts a long time'....

Not an engineer

Guys,

I'm not an engineer, but I've been around construction a long time and have seen many structural engineers freak about hanging things from perlins and exactly how they're attached.

You wouldn't catch me hangin my aircraft like that, especially when winter comes. I've seen snow loads take down roofs even when they're not pre-loaded like that one.

I'd certainly consult a steel building engineer on that.

Just sayin. :eek: