robertb328

Friend
I had not planned on purchasing an engine until I was closer to finishing my project. I suspect it will take me another 18 to 24 months to finish my -8(A). Due to some unforseen circumstances, I am having an engine built now.

After much thought and debate, I decided to go with a traditional engine. It will be a rebuilt IO-360 with electronic ignition on one side, mag on the other. I am also going with a horizontal sump.

I was hoping for some advice on the best way to store it. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

I talked to an engine shop, a respected mechanic and to Lycoming just a couple weeks ago with the same question.

The answer was to simply fill it all the way with cheap automotive oil. I did just that, plugged up all the openings (some you can plug with PVC fittings) & filled it with "Aerolube" from the hardware store at $6.59 per gallon. It took very close to 7 gallons. I left one port unplugged up high where I could monitor the oil height until it was full. Had to tip it up slightly at the back to fill it completely.

Some folks here suggest putting in some oil & storing it upside down on an old tire. Upside down will keep oil over the cam shaft. I found it pretty awkward to turn it over on to a tire; you should probably have a few guys to help, but there aren't many good places to grab it. Someone also suggested getting an engine stand and bolting it to that, hanging it from the prop flange. Makes it easy to roll it over every week or so to cover all the inside parts with oil. I asked the Lycoming rep if the prop flange could take the stress of all that weight hanging way out there. He said as far as he knew that had never been evaluated so he couldn't recommend it. Otherwise I like this idea best as engine stands are often on casters making it easy to move around and you can simply roll it to access any part of the engine.

I had not thought of completely filling it with oil. I had considered a stand that can be rotated, but was also concerned with hanging it from the flange for an extended period of time. Now I am thnking of putting it on an upright stand filled with oil? I would like to be able to have access to it to work on or just sit and look at and dream of getting it in the air.

Fill with oil, wrap in plastic...

I talked to an engine shop, a respected mechanic and to Lycoming just a couple weeks ago with the same question.

The answer was to simply fill it all the way with cheap automotive oil. I did just that, plugged up all the openings (some you can plug with PVC fittings) & filled it with "Aerolube" from the hardware store at $6.59 per gallon. It took very close to 7 gallons. I left one port unplugged up high where I could monitor the oil height until it was full. Had to tip it up slightly at the back to fill it completely.

Some folks here suggest putting in some oil & storing it upside down on an old tire. Upside down will keep oil over the cam shaft. I found it pretty awkward to turn it over on to a tire; you should probably have a few guys to help, but there aren't many good places to grab it. Someone also suggested getting an engine stand and bolting it to that, hanging it from the prop flange. Makes it easy to roll it over every week or so to cover all the inside parts with oil. I asked the Lycoming rep if the prop flange could take the stress of all that weight hanging way out there. He said as far as he knew that had never been evaluated so he couldn't recommend it. Otherwise I like this idea best as engine stands are often on casters making it easy to move around and you can simply roll it to access any part of the engine.

That's exactly what i did with my old O-320 core... lasted that way for a long time, and has now been sold, rebuilt and flying in a Grumman.

Upside down is no problem... just make some wood spacer blocks and screw them to a piece of 3/4 ply. Turn the engine over and have the blocks arranged so that they support the cylinder heads.

Before you turn over the engine, spread a large piece of clear 6-mill plastic sheet over the mount, put the engine on the wood spacers, then fill the case up with auto oil. Then you can tape the plastic sheet together over the engine. this does two things... makes it reasonably dust proof, and also catches any oil that might leak out from your sealed holes...:)

Upside down is better since the cam and lifters are the weak part of the Lycomings.

gil A

... now I need an O-360....:)

Rotating stand- not using prop hub

I wouldn't store the engine on a stand hanging it from the prop hub either, but awhile back a post had instructions on modifying an auto engine stand to bolt the engine to it using the engine mount bolts. I did this after building my own engine from an ECI kit and it worked great. Stand costs $35 at harbor freight ($20 if you catch it on sale). Some threaded rod and a couple of short pieces of water pipe and you have it finished! I liked being able to rotate the engine every couple of weeks to keep everything covered with oil, and the stand allows the engine to be stored off of the floor (not on a tire) and rolled anywhere you want to get it out of the way. Looks way cooler too:cool:

Here's a link to the instructions: http://web.archive.org/web/20050907....com/~msnook/aviation/eng_stand/eng_stand.htm

When I was told to fill the engine with oil, one of the guys said that no matter what I did, it would seep out here & there. I put a drip tray under it and after almost 3 months, it has maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil in the tray. Just be aware it won't be oil tight.

And

When you have finished with the oil in the engine...Put it in your car...:)

Well my car is worth considerably less than my airplane engine so , shoot, why not?

Frank