dwilson

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I am building a 9A tip up. I chose not to put in the "canopy eject" hardware.

Question is, how do I secure the hinge pins in place so they won't fall out, but so that I can get them out easily when I need to get the canopy off???

I did put access panels top skin just aft of the cowel, so I can get to one side of the pins with relative ease, but if there were a nut on the other end of the pin (the outboard end) I don't know how I would ever get a wrench on it.

Any ideas/pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Duane

The best thing is to go ahead and install the "eject" hardware. Instead of running the handle through the panel, run it straight down behind the sub-panel. It will then be easy to remove the canopy, even though not in flight. We've done this on a number of -6s,-7s and -9s.

Most folks that eliminate the jettison handle simply install the canopy with bolts and "jettison" the pins, so to speak.

I only use part of the pin assembly

I used the pin and the rod as per the plans, but inserted them from the outboard side. I then secured the handle (rod) with and adel clamp into a plate nut attached to the rib.

I had hope that after riveting the forward top skin that I would never have to remove the canopy again. As it turned out I had the canopy off and on at least four times. I don't have access holes in the forward skin, which would have made this attachment system every easy to use.

You need to just get used to being on your back under the panel, as there are all kinds of work that will happen down there.

Kent

I used Van's design on my tip-up, but I eliminated the spring by cross drilling the eject rod just behind the panel. I use a cotter pin with a washer in place between the back side of the panel - just have to pull the cotter pin to allow an easy pull on the handle. I also ditched the Van's ejection rod and fabricated a new one using non-magnetic stainless (my compass was swinging too much with the 4130 rod).
I thought about attaching the rod vertically to the sub-panel to free up panel space, but decided removal/replacement of the canopy would be easier if I were standing in the cockpit. No regrets on this decision. Most important was to eliminate the spring and keep the bellcrank as I don't have to crawl under the IP. Also, I agree with previous posts, you will find removing and replacing the canopy one of the main advantages of the tip-up.

Quick release pins

I used the Quick Release Pins from McMaster. I don't remember the useable length but this part number will get you close. Make sure you order the "L" shaped handle.

Part number 90302A149

Gary

Modified Vans H/W

I used most of the jettison set-up but trimmed the pull handle to 3-4" long; then I installed it forward of the instrument panel and when it's pushed all the way forward I get full engagement of the pins and use an Adel clamp secured to a nutplate (an3) to hold it flush to the subpanel. When the canopy is opened the short an3 screw is easily accessible and removing it allows me to simply pull the handle to the rear which retracts the pins and the canopy lifts right off. When the canopy is closed the whole retaining mechanism is hidden.